“Best oyster house”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Best oyster house”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Great eclectic rustic wood atmosphere, cheefrul ambiance, good service! Lots of variety in oysters but great fish and chips as well - in fact yummy chips!! Located close to downtown

Visited March 2013

Ottawa
“Delicious seafood”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Had a birthday lunch here and as usual it was delicious. I splurged and had the lobster roll & a beer - the roll was great. Whalesbone has a well deserved reputation for their fresh fish.

Visited April 2013
“Over-rated”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The food was very good, but the restaurant was crowded and noisy and the staff had an attitude that they were just too cool to live or serve a mere minion like myself. I read reviews on this place and I just expected more based on the reviews. Very Good but not as great as I was lead to believe and better restaurants in town for the same price point.

Visited November 2012
4 Thank JoBrampton
Ottawa
“Food is "5" - atmosphere "2"”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Visited this restaurant with a girlfriend - love seafood and was really looking forward to it. What was good was excellent, but, even so, I'd be somewhat reticent to return.
The food...divine. the scallop ceviche appetizer was perfect- figs, jalapeno, onion, creme fraiche -- all combined in bursts of flavour - fantastic. I had the walleye main course, which was, again, out of this world. It was served in a bowl with potatoes, asparagus, radish, shallots, olives and subtle flavours, tender with crispy skin. It was truly, truly excellent.
Nice selection of wines by the glass for those of us who arrived by car and could only have one.
Service was friendly and efficient as well, no mean feat considering how crowded it was.
So...why hesitate to return? Well, for one thing, it's loud. So loud that you can barely hear your friend talking and have to either lean over the table to talk loudly and/or shout. Cacophony at its worst. This is not even due to accidental design -- it's the music - a very aggressive jazz was playing the night we went. It's so loud it's actually off-putting. And unpleasant. Seriously, why do this? I gather it's some attempt to be trendy - trust me, people would rather hear themselves think and be able to talk over dinner!
Why else? I'm not sure there is air conditioning -- the tables are squished close together and the space is tiny. We were seated near the window, and even then we were hot (this was one of those early hot days, maybe they just didn't have the air on yet).
And lastly -- very bright (halogen?) lights at odd angles -- such that they were directly in my eyes. I mentioned it to the waitress who said she would tell the manager - but then said that with the ceiling fans she wasn't sure if they could be re-angled.
At any event, between the noise, having to talk loudly back and forth, the heat and the lights I left with a headache that even two advils didn't cure.
So...yes, the food was off the charts..but the experience was really, really not. And for the price, I am not sure I would risk it - which is a shame, because it was one of the best seafood meals I've had.

• Visited May 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“MMMMmmm The Brown Bag Lunch”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Worthy of all the "Best Sandwich I've Ever Had" TV shows... Their outlet store... Smoked Fish Sandwich. Imagine this. You taste the caper mayo, and its tangy and creamy and then, whoa, there's a bit of sweetness peaking through from the caramelized onions and you hit a big chunk of smoked tuna, and yes, you have a little bit of everything all over your face at that point, but you don't care, because you can basically use the wonderfully chewy bread to wipe your face off of the goodness of this sandwich not to waste any bit of it. Did I love it? Yes, yes I did...

• Visited May 2013