“Small but mighty, good”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Ottawa
“Small but mighty, good”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Tight and warm, but charming and friendly. We didn't have a reservation but the staff found a place for us. I really enjoyed the music selection. We started with a dozen assorted oysters and the mussels in a Thai sauce, both could not have been better. I had the trout, Chantale the Ling Cod. Both were delicious and well presented. If you are looking for seafood in Ottawa, this is the place to be.

• Visited January 2013

Ottawa, Canada
“Lived up to the reputation”
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

We had been planning a visit here for ages and finally made it. It was great. We liked the funky junky decor and the great casual atmosphere...but knowing the room was filled with people who were here for the food. Everything we had was excellent. We ordered the appetizer sharing plate. I am not a big oyster fan but those who were loved them..the clams and mussels were excellent. Another had the salad which I tasted...it was lovely. Simple and elegant with excellent unique dressing. Two had pickerel and raved, one had mussels with equally enthusiastic feedback. I had lobster and it was good but not the best thing of the night(though the most expensive). Their side dishes are unique and memorable. Good wines by the glass. We'll be back...but really looking forward to the westboro place opening soon!

1 Thank Babs621
“Best in the Capital”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Easily the best restaurant in Ottawa. You can make reso's but I prefer to sit at the bar. Sure, it's a little expensive but you get what you pay for and it's worth it. I've never had a bad meal at the Whalesbone.

• Visited December 2012
“Fun, cool, delicious tuna sashimi, mussels and oysters=Loved this place!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

This was my wife's favorite restaurant of all time and we eat out every week and travel extensively. We sat at the bar which in my opinion would be the best way to experience this place "oyster bar". The tuna sashimi and mussels were amongst the tastiest preparations we have ever had for these dishes. The oysters were top notch and definitely fresh and a phenomenal variety. This place ain't cheap but is well worth it for the quality, service and atmosphere of a cool and fun oyster bar experience.

Ottawa, Canada
“Atmosphere, excellent food and great service”
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

One of my favourite things to do at this restaurant is to actually sit at the bar. There are always interesting characters dining there and the atmosphere is such that people actually talk to each other. You can also watch them shuck oysters and choose music from their eclectic record collection. The food is great, albeit pricy, and everything is ethically sourced. They have turned me into an oyster convert through presentation and the experience of eating a variety of different oysters with various sauces. Their service is excellent and they will even have a drink of Sailor Jerry's rum with you at the conclusion of your meal! I also love this restaurant's esthetic as it is cozy, dimly lit and inviting.