“Great Experience”

Ranked #85 of 3,256 Restaurants in Ottawa
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed March 15, 2019 via mobile

After making the trek on Elgin St from our hotel we were wondering if this diner would be worth our treacherous walk. (Construction) We arrived to a packed diner and they were friendly and quick to accommmadate a party of 9 rowdy ladies! Our food more then met our expectations and the kitchen handled one of the orders with specific requests perfectly! Our server, a young man was friendly and smooth handling our large group. Very impressed! If you’re visiting Ottawa and looking for a great breakfast, Elgin St Diner will not disappoint. It’s a must!

Date of visit: February 2019

Reviewed March 12, 2019 via mobile

Decent food, service. I’d give it more stars IF the Cafe au lait “in a Bowl” ($1 more than a “mug”) actually came in a bowl (it was a mug barely bigger than a reg coffee mug). When I mentioned it, waiter says, “Bowl? Mug? Let’s call it a big mug” and charged me for a bowl anyway. Then I ordered a raspberry milkshake. For $7 I expected real fruit, right? It came yellow. When I asked about it, I was told their “flavourings” often “didn’t have any colour”. Really? I tasted it - clearly vanilla. No big deal - got my order wrong, right? What I got back was a thinner milkshake with a hint of pink stuff. Hmmmm... Don’t mean to be picky but the quality really is in the details if you are going to charge $7 for a milkshake.

Wanted to like the whole experience, but the “I-really-don’t-give-a-care-if-you-come-back-but-I’ll try-to-be-civil” approach to service left me deciding to try the other great diners in town instead of going back. It wasn’t even a busy time when we visited.

Reviewed March 11, 2019 via mobile

I was in Ottawa for a family reunion of sorts. Stayed up late Saturday and yit was Spring ahead to daylight savings time. We woke up Sunday looking for a hearty breakfast and the pictures and description of the Elgin Street diner looked liked it was the place for us. Lots of seating and despite being busy, we were seated right away and it wasn’t too loud. Our server had us set up with hot drinks right away! I ordered the Hangover breakfast, after asking how they prepared their home fries. (I tend to like mine crispy and their come more like mashed potatoes warmed in a skillet) the portions were mire than generous, I think their were 8 slices of bacon cooked perfectly and I need to say, their poutine was perfection! It was the right combination of beautifully cooked fires with curds and a delicious dark gravy. The consistency of the gravy was also prefect. The whole thing was beyond delicious. It was impressive.
Only two points that kept me from giving this place 5/5....one, my cousin had ordered hot tea and at no point during our meal did any one ask to refill it for her. And point two is primarily because there were at least 5-6 server type people and bus boys standing around. They weren’t short staffed, they seemed friendly and the vibe in the restaurant was good, they seemed more into socializing with each other than providing great customer service.

1  Thank 88marcyh
Reviewed March 10, 2019 via mobile

I’ve been here about a dozen times for their comfort food. I ordered the Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich and I was disappointed with it. The meat was processed and the bread was a little dry. Fries are always good but hard to eat with all the little fry chunks that make up about half of the portion. Tuna melts was pretty good. There is a good variety of milkshakes. We shared a delicious chocolate shake.
The restaurant is a little more difficult to get to because Elgin street is being torn up and is under construction.

Reviewed March 5, 2019

We went there as a group for dinner after sharing some drinks. The diner has a cosy vibe, the service is very friendly and nice - it was a good experience! I ordered a grilled cheese and a side salad without dressing - I was mainly aiming to eat something relatively healthy, and this seemed like it besides the soups. I think overall it tasted good, I'm always happy with melted cheese. The portion size was ok and worth its price. The rest of my friends had larger dishes which included very large portions of fries. I'd definitely go back there again if I'm ever in need of some good warm comfort food!

Date of visit: February 2019