“Solid diner experience in heart of Ottawa”
Review of Elgin Street Diner

Elgin Street Diner
Ranked #30 of 2,808 Restaurants in Ottawa
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Had Sunday breakfast at 9am. Place was only half-full at the time, mostly families and older couples. Service was very attentive - I got seated right by the front window and had coffee on the table almost right away. My waiter checked on me several times and refilled my coffee mug twice.

The breakfast menu has lots of variety. I ordered the Blue Plate Special: eggs, 3 meats, 3 slices of toast, baked beans, and a side poutine, with coffee included. I paid $18 for everything, tax and tip included. Not cheap, about the same price level as Denny's where I have been disappointed more often than not.

I have heard a lot of different opinions on the ESD poutine. I was born in Montreal, and I know good poutine when I taste it. ESD puts their own spin on it, and it's pretty good but nothing to write home about. The fries were crisp, matchstick, fresh & tasty - but not traditional Quebec-style fries. I saw on the show "You gotta eat here" that the gravy is based on steak sauce- I prefer a true gravy. But there was a ton of good quality cheese curds. So overall it was a nice change from boring hash browns. I think they must use steak sauce or A1 sauce in the baked beans as well; this did not work out so well.

By the time I left, the diner was about 75% full, but there were still plenty of good seats left. Peak time is after the nearby clubs close at 2am. An authentic diner experience overall.

There are newer reviews for Elgin Street Diner

Reviewed September 7, 2013

On our last day in Ottawa we popped in for breakfast. The service was second to none - you couldn't fault our server. He was very attentive and nothing was too much bother. i ordered the blueberry pancakes - he warned that they were quite large when he asked how many I would like. I should have listened and ordered only one with my side order of bacon (which arrived just as ordered - just the way I like it, very crispy) served with butter and maple syrup. Yum!!

If you want a good meal, served hot and freshly prepared ignore the rest and go to the best.

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Fries were over cooked, soggy texture and definitely not fresh as in they been sitting for a while then reheated. Advertised as being made with local St-Albert cheese curds but there was very little. Won't be ordering this dish again at this location.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Found the restaurant through "You Have To Eat Here" Television shows website. Better than anticipated. The Blue Plate Special was a unique experience. Poutine for breakfast was a first for me. Service was good and quick. Enjoyable for couples and families alike.

Dinner was just great as well

24-7 is good to know for those like ourselves who arrived in town quite late

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Have been here many times before and decided to take our group there during our weekend visit to Ottawa earlier this month. Six of us arrived about 10 AM on a Sunday morning. Two summary comments: 1) Nothing has changed since my last visit about five years ago and 2) I am delighted by that fact. Service was great in spite of the fact that the diner was full, food was basic (this was breakfast so epicurean delights were not expected) and plentiful. Compared to hotel dining room with inflated prices, limited choices and the typically sullen hotel restaurant atmosphere, this place is fun, quick and inexpensive. No fine linens and bow-tied waiters, but great basic diner fare.Take the family there for breakfast or lunch.

1  Thank scott0506