“Homemade Goodness” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Elgin Street Diner

Elgin Street Diner
Ranked #42 of 2,710 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American, Diner, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Homemade Goodness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our family dined at the Elgin Street Diner twice during our stay in Ottawa and had a fantastic experience each time.

In this era of food that fell off a Sysco truck and slacker service, ESD really stands out. Diner food, yes—but delicious and obviously made from scratch.

Service was friendly and efficient, refills without asking, hot food arrived hot and cold food arrived cold. The ESD Poutine is extraordinary, as are the burgers and milkshakes. For breakfast, you can't go wrong with an omelette (although two of us opted for the bagel-cream cheese-smoked salmon and loved that, too). Quality ingredients were evident in every dish we tried.

Our family heartily recommends ESD—and we're looking forward to returning to dine there soon!

1 Thank Frances17033

Ottawa, Canada
“Great food, great buzz, open 24 hours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Have been dropping in here for years, for really good breakfast or brunch. Place is always busy, with families, students, locals, cops, you name it. Large and varied menu selection, and they are happy to adjust the plate to suit your taste. Something for everyone...come hungry!

Visited July 2013
Barrie, Canada
“As I remember.... You Gotta Eat Here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

It's been about 17 years since I last ate at the Elgin Street Diner, used to go with former in-laws for Sunday brunch. It was featured on the Food Network's "You Gotta Eat Here". So, when given an option of where to eat on my short visit to Ottawa, that was my choice.
Had a great burger, and the poutine with rich gravy, and a nice cabbage salad. My cousin seemed to enjoy her burger as well, and the kids liked their macaroni and cheese. For dessert I split the dulce du leche cheesecake with my cousin's daughter, her brother had the jello, and my cousin had the berry crumble. Think we were all pleased with the desserts. Glad, though, to have a walk back to the hotel after the meal!!

Visited July 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Great service, terrific breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Having lived in Ottawa, for some reaon I have never eaten at Elgin Dner. Our waitress was great, taking our order quickly asking questions and recommendations. Three egg omelette was excellent, and was offered hot sauce which no one offers at other restaurants. Coffee refills happened without having to ask for more. I'll be back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Barrie, Ontario
“Fantastic value and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We came once, then made a point of returning a few days later since we enjoyed it so much. The food was outstanding in terms of the quality, taste, portion size, and speed it was at your table. Kids portions were equally generous, and our picky eaters LOVED it. It was obvious that these meals were especially prepared. The overall value was excellent, and the prices were quite inexpensive. We can't say enough about the servers, either, who were attentive, but with a fantastic sense of humour which was much appreciated and gave the one the feel of being at home here, among old friends. They really made the experience that much better. Unique decor, a bright atmosphere, and very clean. I would recommend this diner to anyone, and I will be back the next time I'm in Ottawa.