“A very good diner... worth the walk”
Review of Elgin Street Diner

Elgin Street Diner
Ranked #30 of 2,823 Restaurants in Ottawa
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed May 6, 2013

While in Ottawa for a conference, my family and some friends went to this diner (the latter wanted to make sure we experience it before heading home). This experience is all about eating a good meal, not about the decor or scenery.

Our server was quick and attentive. We ordered a variety of dishes: cheeseburger, club sandwich, liver, etc., and everyone was satisfied and full. No one claimed this was the best [ ____ ] (fill in the blank) they had ever eaten. The food was not about that... it was, again, about filling your belly with good-tasting food. I would eat here again.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

The Diner is just that, food for people who are hungry, and need to fuel up. Basic diner, value for money. Nothing else.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Came to this diner for breakfast on the recommendation of an Ottawa local. Described as the most "local experience" breakfast was typical Canadian and delicious. The children had hotcakes with maple syrup while I enjoyed bacon and eggs which came with beans in a tomato sauce which is Canadian.

Price was fair and service was very friendly. They sell their Elgin Street Diner Coffee mugs which make for a nice souvenir.

I will have breakfast here again some day.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I thought the food was great...it was diner food at its best. I had the Hangover Breakfast (thankfully sans hangover) which was 2 eggs, bacon, toast and poutine...yes poutine. Elgin Street Diner is famous for its poutine. Everything was quite good. Hubby had the Chubby Checker Chicken Burger which is a chicken burger with cream cheese and bacon on it. Very good. Instead of just fries he upped it to the Smoked Meat Poutine and enjoyed it immensely. 12 year old daughter had grilled cheese with poutine and ate it all up and the youngest had the kids mac and cheese and LOVED it. I tasted hers and it was quite good. I also ordered the Peanut Butter and Chocolate Pie dessert to go (I couldn't even finish the poutine so there was no way I was having it there). ALl of the food was very good. The service was pretty good - took a while to get our drinks but the food arrived very quickly. The waiter was very friendly. It was busy (Friday night at 8PM) but we didn't have to wait for a table or anything. We were quite pleased. The only thing was that it was a bit pricey for diner fare. With tax and tip we paid $85. Great food, good service, we'd definitely come back.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We came here twice & the place seems to be always packed. This 24 hour eatery has a great selection of comfort food such as an all day breakfast selection. The staff are also very friendly. We especially loved the espresso milkshake!