“DO NOT bring your children here”

Flipper's Restaurant
Ranked #220 of 2,746 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: The Glebe / Dow's Lake
Ottawa, Canada
“DO NOT bring your children here”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

While my husband was carrying my son around the restaurant to look at the artwork, he was literally followed around by a woman (a manager??) who kept insisting that the picture frames were very fragile (I'm pretty sure we know better). As we made our order, my son was very calmly standing around the table without fuss, just curious to look around - while the same woman proceeds to tell us that he should be sitting "do we always just let our kids run around". First of all, I know better, if my child was misbehaved, I would not have chosen this restaurant (or any restaurant for that matter). People in the in the restaurant were not even aware he was there. In any case this lady was doing everything in her power to ensure that we leave the restaurant before our meal arrived - so that we did. She was rude, obnoxious and completely embarrassed the service staff and those who were watching in pure disgust.
Not to mention that we are regulars at this restaurant (because the food is actually quite good), and we know the service staff very well, it's a shame she didn't realize this as we will not return. Our chance for a nice Friday dinner was tarnished as it was made very obvious that children are not accepted here.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank Jackie S

Ottawa, Canada
“Best seafood in town... Really!”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I've been to a few seafood restaurants in town (Pelican's, Big Daddy's, Coasters', Red Lobster...) and THIS is THE seafood restaurant you want to go to if you want good quality food! I promise you won't be disappointed! Take note that it's on the second level of the building.

We were there to celebrate my partner's b'day with a few friends. I had made a reservation a week in advance for 6:00 PM. When we arrived, there werent' many people, but when we left at around 7:45 PM, almost all the tables were taken! It's not a big restaurant... Maybe 15 tables (give or take).

The food is amazing! We had the oysters, escargots, chowder (homemade), the fish of the day and the scallops. We were all so very happy with our dishes! So tasty and fresh!

The atmosphere was great too! Very cozy and nicely decorated. You don't feel like you're in a fisherman's boat (like some seafood restaurants like to do)!

The server we had was experienced, very pleasant and quite friendly.

You won't regret it! :)

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Ve_Lu_Me
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“seafood”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

small nice and cosy restaurant . great service .
short menu..limited but not bad
prices reasonable
you have to use the stairs and it's not easy with a baby stroller ! no elevator !

• Visited February 2012
Orillia, Canada
“Best Seafood in Ottawa”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

There was great choice of seafood, the sea scallops were delicious. Prices were reasonable and the atmosphere is very relaxed.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank PLESLIE23
“Just average at best”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We were excited to try this place after reading the TripAdvisor reviews. It did not live up to expectations. We arrived when they opened at 5pm. We were the only ones in the restaurant. We just started to look at our menu's when the waiter came over and asked us if we were ready to order. I didn't expect this. How about "Would you like something to drink?". We just decided to order and I told him I wanted a beer. Well I was never offered another one as after my beer he just brought over a glass of water and not even one for my wife. There were also flies all over the place. My wife kept trying to swipe away the flies buzzing around her. The dinner came and it was good, but very small portions. The only reason I gave this restaurant a 3 star rating is because the food wasn't bad. We were rushed through dinner with no one in the restaurant and were not offered any dessert at all. Maybe this is the best for Ottawa, but we have eaten in much better seafood restaurants in other cities. We were in and out of there in under an hour. Not what you would expect from a place that is supposed to be fine dining.

• Visited July 2012