“Excellent Food, Average Restaurant”
Review of Fraser Cafe

Fraser Cafe
Ranked #4 of 2,915 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I chose to have a business dinner at Fraser Cafe recently based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews online, and the recommendations of some friends.

Overall, the food lives up to the reputation. The menu was slightly limited, but very quite creative and inspired. I greatly enjoyed my appetizer, and my entree - pictures attached. Among the very best.

The service was good, but not spectacular. I found the serving staff, in both their approach, and their attire, was overly casual given the type of menu and patron they serve.

The restaurant itself is situated in an undesirable neighbourhood, and more importantly, is extremely small. The tables are small, and there's very little space in between them. Definitely not a great choice for a couple looking for a more private dining experience, or frankly, anyone opposed to tight spaces.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Well, I lucked into the Fraser Cafe when looking for somewhere for an ex-co-worker and I to have lunch together - somewhere in the middle. Neither of us had been there before, and we were beyond pleasantly surprised - the food was delicious. Perfectly seasoned, I love that the chef is not afraid of salt. And you could see the chef, another thing I like is the open kitchen. The menu is small, but impeccable. I had the crispy fish sandwich - which was an open-faced fishcake sandwich. Not crispy, though. Whatever sauce that was on the bun was made in heaven, I think. The wedge fries were so good. Even the wonderfully simple side salad - mixed greens, which I usually don't like - had the most subtle, flavourful dressing. MMMMMMMM, I will definitely be going back at the earliest opportunity. PS - It was very noisy, at times, we couldn't hear ourselves.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

This restaurant is very unassuming! We arrived after trying to find a restaurant in the Byward Market and I would encourage you to make the seven (7) minute drive from the market to this gem! The restaurant is small; however, very quaint and the food is fabulous. I had the gnocchi and meatballs which were both homemade! The food was hot, fresh, and delicious! The waitress remembered that our table's food preferences and allergies. I will come here again in a heart beat!

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I've lost count of how many times I've been to Fraser Cafe, but I know that I want to be there a lot more. I've been lucky enough to eat brunch, lunch and dinner there, with just two of us up to a group of eighteen of us, and every visit has been incredible. The decor, the service and the food are pretty much flawless, and the Chef's Choice menu option -- a main course, or an appetizer and main, surprise -- has always been inventive and delicious, and I've never been served the same "surprise" twice. Sadly, I live about six hours away from Ottawa now, and try to get into the Fraser every time I'm home for a visit. My one complaint is that it's often too busy to let me in. Any plans for an expansion?

1  Thank bradshaw33
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My wife and I, together with another couple decided to try Fraser Cafe on the recommendation of a friend. We were not disappointed! Our wives each ordered the Seared Sea Scallops and they both loved their meals. The 'males' ordered the soup of the day as a starter. It was a roasted celery root that was absolutely perfect. I often reach for seasoning with soups but not this time. It was fantastic the way it was served. My friend order the Kitchen Choice which turned out to be a brazed lamb with arancini on the side. He thought it was perfect. I had the BBQ beef which was a striploin, done perfectly medium-rare, with a wide array of grilled veg and an excellent horseradish cream sauce. It had frites on the side which were not 'perfect', just okay (a bit oily for my taste).
The service was good, the beer selection was adequate and the wine went lovely with the meal. Perhaps it was a little on the pricey side (after all, it still IS just a cafe?) but the overall meal was excellent and we all enjoyed ourselves.

1  Thank rennickr