“Fabulous place”

Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I've been to Fraser Cafe a number of times, mostly for brunch, and it's always been excellent. But what prompted this review was my last visit on Mother's Day for dinner. It was just spectacular.

It started with the appetizers. My wife had a beet salad that she loved. I tried and thought it was pretty good. What makes pretty good become amazing is that I hate beets! My mom had the beer batter cauliflower. I thought it was delicious. Again, I detest cauliflower! I had the tuna with jalapeños, which was amazing, absolutely delicious.

For mains, my wife went with the BBQ beef, which was quite good, it only wasn't better because she likes it well done and I don't. Mom and I took a chance and went with the kitchen's choice, where the chef makes you a surprise dish. Boy did it pay off. My mom got a fabulous veal medallion that was delicious in more ways than I can put in words. The pasta that accompanied it was very good too. I got a halibut with a curry/lemon sauce that was also fantastic.

For desert, we shared the beignets. They weren't on par with the rest of the meal, but they were still pretty good.

To complete the great experience, the service was impeccable. The server was super nice and the dishes were served in a timely manner. I really can't recommend this place enough!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I tried this place for the first time a coupe of days ago. This is a nice little local place located between Vanier and Rockcliff. The place is quiet small so it is better to reserve if you are a large group or if you intend to visit during a busy time. All items on the menu appear very interesting (tuna taco, smoked trout, Panini…). The pulled smoked duck sandwich I tried was quite the treat with a nice wild rice salad. I thought the price were very reasonable considering the quality of the food served. Waiter was good with nice sense of humour. Definitely place to add to my must-revisit- soon list.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We had a dinner meeting last night at Table 40 @ Fraser Cafe. There were 40 of us but the staff and chef handled the crowd expertly. Service was attentive - appetizers for guests while they were mingling over a glass of wine and chatting then dinner was served while I was giving a presentation. The staff managed to serve 40 people their meal without interrupting my presentation! They were quiet but efficient and you wouldn't even know they were there. When I finally got to have my meal (after my presentation), I was very impressed with the quality of the food. My seared ahi tuna was prepared perfectly and it was on a beet salad that provided the perfect contrast to the tuna (soft tuna versus the cold, crunchy beet salad). My main course was Artic Char and it was delicious. The skin was very crispy but the meat underneath was moist and tender. My mouth is watering now as I write this! The fish was served on a bed of roasted potatoes, very crispy bacon and various vegetables - all very tasty. The best was saved for last - the dessert! They called it the warm chocolate pudding but it was more like a yummy, yummy chocolate soufflé! Eaten together with the cold ice cream and candied nuts served on the plate - wow, dessert heaven! Would definitely return next time I'm in Ottawa.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We had an enjoyable meal and a nice experience at Fraser Cafe.

One of the features is the opportunity to let the chef choose to cook something for you that is not on the menu. Two of our party of three tried this option, and we were both pleased with our meal - one fish in curry sauce, and the other a veal roll with spatzle. Our third party member had the BBQ steak, which did not disappoint. All dishes were cooked just right, nicely presented and very tasty. Servings are quite large.

We also shared a cheese-meat platter as an appetizer - it was wonderful, and plenty to share for 2 - 4 people.

The restaurant is quite lively and loud, and was definitely full on a Saturday night. The service was excellent - attentive and knowlegeable.

We enjoyed our experience here and would recommend this restaurant. The atmosphere is pretty casual.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Ive worked in that area for 25 years and seen many changes ..this restaurent is a great place to have a meal with friends.We visit different restaurants to see wich is good and we give this one a thumbs up.A nice addition to the area.