“Finally a place to rave about in Ottawa!!”
Review of Fraser Cafe

Fraser Cafe
Ranked #2 of 2,882 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I am from Toronto now living in Ottawa and I have had a hell of a time finding places worth bringing people to in Ottawa (always disappointing and boring compared to TO). My friend was in for the weekend and this place was recommended to me...so glad I listened because we both loved it! Great atmosphere...dark lit and cozy for dinner but not in a date kind of way. Be prepared to sit very, very close to other diners.

The food was excellent. We ordered salads to share: the roasted butternut squash and chorizo and the duck confit walnut. Both were absolutely amazing; rich; perfectly dressed and very interesting. I would say the butternut squash one is the better one but I would eat either one again in a heartbeat.

We then both ordered the "kitchen surprise" which the waiter explained in great detail. Basically for the adventurous diner who isn't overly picky (no substitutions or special requests allowed). You simply take a chance and the chef prepares his own off-the-menu unique creation for you. You are allowed to specify food allergies (say shellfish) but not preferences (ie. meat only). The price was $30 regardless of the meal and we would both get something different if we both ordered the surprise. So we decided to go for it and were not disappointed...my friend got an arctic char in green curry with potatoes and grilled veggies and I got a veal roulade with homemade pasta in a super rich, salty sauce with tomatoes and olives. We both loved our meals!! I was especially impressed at how the chef actually picked himself who gets what because we made a pact to swap our meals if we wanted to and we both chose to stay with the chef's pick.

Dessert was just as great. I had a scoop each of the homemade sour cream and coffee ice cream and my friend had the baked chocolate pudding (which is like a rich chocolate soufflé). Both were amazing. The donuts are rumoured to be quite good as well. The couple next to us was having some and they smelled incredible.

Overall highly recommend. Great place for true foodies in Ottawa. Quality seasonal ingredients and a chef who seems to really know his stuff. Just be sure to book a reservation for dinner.

1  Thank Banoon1984

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our second visit, a year later was just as enjoyable. I was a bit worried because of some of the recent ratings...but opted to try it again with friends. I can understand why maybe some people would be disappointed, depending on your table location. It is a small restaurant, but like many bistro style restaurants, yes, it will be noisy and lively. We were fortunate to surpisingly end up with the exact table as last winter. One table away from the front window, so far enough from the kitchen. No complaints. Two of us sat on chairs, the other two on a banquette. If you want a quiet, romantic dinner, then maybe this place is not for you. Our table was promptly ready for our 8:30 reservation. We all enjoyed our food again. Soup, beet salad, Albacore tuna and jalapeño. (with quite the kick) to start. Our friends enjoyed their chef's surprise (one fish, one meat). I really enjoyed the scallops and my husband orderd the grilled pork chop. Tasty but a bit in the tough side. We shared some beignets for dessert...very good. Service was pleasant and timely, despite a few minor mix ups which were promptly attended to. Worth a try for a night out with friends.

1  Thank rockport
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I have been to Table 40's Monday Dinners many times now, and we always walk away extremely happy with full bellies. The "family style" dining makes for a casual atmosphere (supported by the funky, but no fuss decor), but the meals are far from casual. We've been fortunate enough to experience some truly great dishes: tagliatteli with both shredded duck and duck meatballs and THE best bread pudding I have ever had for dessert; the Pork night, with the thickest slabs of amazing pork belly, another duck night where seared duck was served on a delighful vegetable pancake...all amazing meals from start to finish. My husband, who is not a fan of soups generally, often raves about the soups served as the 1st course. The meals change every Monday night, and the menus always features 2 wine pairings to choose from (and the pairings are always on point). For the price, quality and quantity served, these dinners are a steal. We live close by and we're so happy to have this great gem in our neighborhood. Can't wait for our next visit.

1  Thank Melalicious19
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is our go-to restaurant when we want to celebrate a special occasion or have a wonderful meal. We held a surprise birthday dinner here, and the staff were so lovely and accomodating. The menu, which changes often, is to-die-for. If you're brave, give the "Chef Surprise" appetizer or entrée a try - you won't be disappointed! A bit pricey, so we save this place for special occasions/out-of-town guests, but it's worth EVERY penny. Great brunch too! Reservations are needed, this place is really popular.

1  Thank Lauren M
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Everything we had was delicious, with the service to match. In a city full of boring, overpriced restos, Fraser Cafe does not disappoint. Husband is vegetarian, so the kitchen improvised for him, with good results. I had the pork belly special; it was to die for. Also does well where many places in Ottawa fail - the layout of the place is not just one big square room. Highly recommended.

1  Thank BlackSeaPrincess