“Good food - changes often”
Review of Fraser Cafe

Fraser Cafe
Ranked #2 of 2,856 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Fresh take on local ingredients. They change the menu which keeps it fresh. Their skill allows them to vary their offerings and yet still stay great. Have been there for breakfast and supper.

1  Thank joseph613

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Had the scrambled eggs. It was good nothing spectacular. Service was great. It's really loud and difficult to speak in the room.

1  Thank presencegirl
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This restaurant has a good reputation, though I was forewarned to lower my expectations by someone I know who eats out a lot around town. He was right. The service is rushed like you're in a fast food restaurant because they want to turn over the table. The food we had was average at best. When you combine the "vibe" with the food quality it is not worth the price or the time. There are plenty of good restaurants in town that I would recommend over this one.

2  Thank nuutipiu
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I was given a gift certificate for this restaurant and was very excited to try it. I made a 6pm reservation (seems the seating times are set, I may be wrong here). We were running late and I called the restaurant to let them know, I was reminded that the table was next reserved for 8pm and it would mean less time for dinner; fair enough. I was a bit taken aback when the waiter took the menu out of my hand when he came to take our order, even though I had not finalized my decision. I promptly took it back only to be reminded that we had a limited time for dinner. My partner and I are both adults and well able to tell the time. We were instantly put off. I ordered the pork chop and my partner ordered the chef's choice. The pork chop was overcooked and tough, and the sauce tasted like too much liquid smoke had been added. My partner received pickerel, which he felt was reasonable although not spectacular. When we had completed our meal the waiter came to collect our plates and made the comment that it looked like we enough time for desert. We were not at all interested, we didn't want to feel rushed through desert as well. The prices are high, I did not like the feeling of being pressured to eat and get out, and the food was a let down. All in all our experience left a bad taste in our mouths (pun intended). Perhaps this restaurant is becoming a bit too big for it's britches. We won't be back, and we won't be able to recommend this restaurant to our friends.

3  Thank Val A
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Friends had highly recommended. We were made clearly aware of the premium prices charged Fraser Cafe. Expectations were high. But our dining experience there was our biggest disappointment in a very long long while.

The space is cramped and tables are way too close to each other. This was exasperated by the restaurants's heat being turned up to an unbearable level. When our server came over to our table to explain the evening's specials, his eyes shifted to the couple at the table next to our's and it was unclear which table's diners he was talking to. Seemed like he was addressing the two tables at the same time.. When I asked him what the charcuterie app included, he replied 'do you mean the cheese or meat?'. I replied 'both!'

We ordered a dozen oysters and said to the server that we'd think about other apps and mains while we ate them. He shot back that we should order our main courses immediately so that the kitchen could start preparing them. He made us feel rushed which was surprising since the restaurant was far from full on this Saturday night.

The food itself was quite good but not good enough to justify the top-of-the-market pricing. Combined with the ham-fisted service provided by our waiter and the mid-market ambiance of the space, the overall experience was a huge let down. To cap the evening off, we asked another waiter to call a cab for us. He said it would arrive in five minutes. After almost half an hour, we inquired about the cab. "Oh, gee', he answered, 'I totally forgot to order one for you.' When the tab for two can easily top $300 (as our's did), Fraser Cafe should provide a much more satisfying and professionally delivered experience.

1  Thank Harold S