“Terrible food, terrible service”

Cora's Breakfast & Lunch
Ranked #197 of 2,736 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Canadian, American
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Ottawa, Canada
“Terrible food, terrible service”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This place USED to be good when it first opened in Ottawa, unfortunately it has gone very much downhill - and not just one of the locations, but all of them. I kept thinking it was just a bad day for the cooks or servers and giving them another chance, but every time the food was terrible and the service worse.
On the last occasion, I ordered the fruit plate with cottage cheese, and after about an hour wait for the food, the plate (which, as a fruit plate is obviously supposed to be cold) arrived and they had obviously put the plate on the food warmer - the plate and the fruit was warm, but even worse, so was the cottage cheese! I was starving after waiting so long for the food to arrive that I ate it anyway, but I haven't gone back since.

The occasion before that, my spouse ordered an eggs and sausage plate, and the "sausage" was cut up hot dogs. Not appetizing, and not impressive. This same visit a woman with a small child was at the table next to us, and the server would not let her give the juice box (which she had brought) to her child. They told her that she had to buy something from the restaurant - for her child, who couldn't have been more than 2 years old!!

I have given this restaurant a number of chances, and it never fails to disappoint. I will not be returning. However, on a more positive note, I have discovered a new breakfast place to go instead called Tutti Fruity. The food there is MUCH better, and the service excellent. The other place I would recommend is the Baker Street Café in Westoboro - you'll have to wait (there's usually a line out the door on the weekends), but the food is FANTASTIC!

• Visited August 2013

• Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
“NOT GOURMET DINING BUT GOOD QUALITY”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Cora's is not a destination for gourmet fine dining. It is however a good fast food outlet with a pretty standard menu for the average diner looking for that sort of restaurant. Service was prompt and efficient. Food items are well presented but certainly not nouveau cusine..the quantities are very large. If your wanting plenty of protein and low on carbs then it will be a challenge.

• Visited February 2014
Ottawa, Canada
“Almost desert for breakfast”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

After my mother passed away, one of her friends wanted to treat my 4 brothers and I to a nice brunch at Cora's. So the tab was on her, we really enjoyed the outing.
My budget doesn't let me splurge for their prices, they are quite pricey, but I must admit it was a nice treat to be taken there.
I ordered the crepes with fruit topping which included strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, water melon, grapes etc. The serving was huge, the fruit were so fresh sweet and juicy, and they topped it off with whipped cream and maple syrup. It was good enough to call it a desert, just melted in my mouth. The orange juice tasted fresh squeezed, the coffee was superb. I loved every bite of my meal. (By the way, this was in spring of 2005). The survey doesn't give the option to give the exact year.

• Visited April 2013
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
“fond memories”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I love the crepes with frit as they are as close as I find to the Finn flapjacks that my daddy so fondly made us for wknd breakfasts when we were young :)

• Visited January 2014
“Cora's”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We found this restaurant to be too expensive for breakfast, so we have only gone once. The portions were large which we did not need, peppered with too much fruit which is high in sugar.

• Visited April 2013