“classic ottawa eat, open 24 hours!”
Review of Zak's Diner

Zak's Diner
Ranked #82 of 2,856 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American, Diner, Canadian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I've always wondered why Zak's is such a big deal in Ottawa. The food is okay (the milkshakes are great), they don't accept debit (which is irritating, you have to use their ATM), but it IS open 24 hours and the food is decent.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Cool diner. Has that old fashioned look to it. Ordered a regular breakfast. Eggs, bacon, homefries toast, coffee. It was nice to see it came with some beans. The food was good but a little pricey.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Zak's has the BEST BREAKFAST in town, you have to try their POUTINE! This place has an awesome atmosphere, and all time classic! The staff is attentive and very friendly, service is quick, our food came promptly, and it was DELICIOUS as always.
I would highly recommend you check it out if you haven't before! TWO THUMBS UP!

2  Thank S_S017
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had a terrible experience at this restaurant. Their staff are very rude and their manager never bothered to respond to my email complaint, although they did seem to have the time to remove my complaint post from their Facebook page.

I went there last Friday, and ordered a burger. My friends ordered an appetizer to share as they were not too hungry. When their food showed up and mine didn't, I just figured that mine was taking longer to cook as it was a full meal and not an appetizer. After another ten minutes I decided to ask, but the server was nowhere to be found. When she eventually came my friends were finished their food and we were ready to leave. She gave us the bill, which included a $13 charge for the burger so I pointed out that I never received my food.

Not only did the server not apologize, when I asked to speak to the manager, she came over with a really smug and rude attitude, and proceeded to tell me that it was my fault for not chasing the server down and telling her that she forgot my order. The manager didn't apologize either. I can honestly say that I have never been treated more rudely and unfairly in my life.

The food that my friends ordered was overpriced, and poor quality. They didn't even finish their food. The only good thing was that I was spared the cost of a $13 burger, which is WAY overpriced. It's actually less expensive to get a burger at the Works than it is here.

I also noticed that the bathrooms were dirty and gross.

Then on top of that, when I complained to their General Manager in an email, they just ignored it. Overall, I would not recommend anyone eat here. If this is how little they care for their customers, then I can only imagine the level of quality they put into preparing their food.

1  Thank GMP1980
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Whenever I am in the market, I must make a stop at Zak's whether it's after a night of partying with friends or after a long day of sightseeing in my own city. The food is great, the atmosphere is good and their milkshakes are to die for.

1  Thank Melanie8995