“Best sushi in Ottawa”

Wasabi Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar
Ranked #196 of 2,725 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Description: Our dining room can accommodate your small groups or large parties comfortably, extending to the outdoor patio during the hot summer months. We offer an extensive array of authentic Japanese dishes from signature rolls and sushi to a variety of cooked dishes from our kitchen. Located in the heart of the Byward Market in downtown Ottawa, we are steps away from the National Art Gallery, Museum of Civilization, the Parliament Buildings, Majors Hill Park, the United States Embassy, National Arts Centre, Fairmont Chateau Laurier and Westin Hotels.
Merrickville
“Best sushi in Ottawa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

My wife and I have only been here once, but will be returning very soon. The sushi here is the best that we've had in the city. I had a Bento Box...incredible. Great flavours and a pretty good value. This will feed the hungriest person in your group. My wife had the Spezza rolls and enjoyed the taste but found the rolls to be a little large and unwieldy.
The service was pretty attentive and the owner was charming and gracious. Would recommend to sushi fans and can't wait to go back again.

• Visited November 2012

Ottawa
“Best sushi in Ottawa so far”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Sushi places in Ottawa are popping up like crazy lately, mostly all you can eat places. These places are for sure making sushi more affordable as, in Ottawa at least, sushi isn't cheap.

While sushi may be getting cheaper, it isn't necessarily getting better.

So, at least for us, when we want to treat ourselves to a 'good' sushi meal, Wasabi is still by far our first choice.

Our regular choices are the sashimi combo (huge thick pieces of fish), the sushi/sashimi combo, and some of the specialty rolls. This will be just shy of $100. Again, not cheap but it is the price of good sushi in Ottawa.

Admittedly, I don't have much experience with the rest of their Japanese menu. The last two times we ate here was also takeout since it can make a nice evening at home with a good bottle of sake.

I rate this higher than Genji (on Lisgar); Festival Japan (on Kent); Suisha Gardens (on Slater); Kinki (in the Market and the last place I'd recommend).

So, to summarize, very good and not necessarily cheap based on Ottawa standards.

One critique is that their web site needs a lot of work. They don't have their full menu and they don't list prices so it can make it difficult to order for takeout.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Fr3lncr
Hobart, Australia
“A great restaurant let down by slow service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

This restaurant has great food and a very extensive menu. Everything we have eaten here has been great but last time we were there our experience was not so good. It was let down by the service, which was very poor. We waited a long time for our orders to be taken and a further 45 minutes before our meal started to arrive. The drinks we ordered should have been a quick serve as we were seated next to the bar! We hadn’t ordered anything too complicated - cold sake as it was a very warm night. Such a shame as the food is delightful - maybe with more chefs things could improve.

• Visited September 2012
Belle Chasse, Louisiana
“New Year's in the Byward”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

This was by far the BEST sushi and sashimi my girlfriend and I have ever had and both of us have been to numerous places all over the world(including Japan). The service was great, the fish was EXCELLENT!!!! I tried octopus for the first time and it was great. Do not be turned away by the prices, if you want great sushi you get what you pay for even on the coast. The presentation was great as well, I wanted to go complement the chefs in person but after two bottles of wine (my first time having Plum wine) I would have probably wanted to stay and watch them do their work the rest of the night and we had to get out on the town and have some fun. We are coming back the next time we are in Ottawa.

• Visited December 2012
Toronto
“Would go again! Very nice restaurant.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I randomly chose this restaurant for an early dinner as we walked by. We were the only ones in the restaurant so we had the full attention of both waitresses, one of whom humored us by taking a bunch of photos - even moving the table over - until we got a good one! Both servers were very attentive and sincerely friendly. The decor is very nice and the bathrooms were clean. The food was very good. The prices are average to higher-end but the portions are pretty generous. The sushi was fresh and the sweet potato fries were nicely done. We enjoyed our meal and would go again.

• Visited December 2012