“New Year's in the Byward”

Wasabi Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar
Ranked #218 of 2,870 Restaurants in Ottawa
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Description: Our dining room can accommodate your small groups or large parties comfortably, extending to the outdoor patio during the hot summer months. We offer an extensive array of authentic Japanese dishes from signature rolls and sushi to a variety of cooked dishes from our kitchen. Located in the heart of the Byward Market in downtown Ottawa, we are steps away from the National Art Gallery, Museum of Civilization, the Parliament Buildings, Majors Hill Park, the United States Embassy, National Arts Centre, Fairmont Chateau Laurier and Westin Hotels.
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This was by far the BEST sushi and sashimi my girlfriend and I have ever had and both of us have been to numerous places all over the world(including Japan). The service was great, the fish was EXCELLENT!!!! I tried octopus for the first time and it was great. Do not be turned away by the prices, if you want great sushi you get what you pay for even on the coast. The presentation was great as well, I wanted to go complement the chefs in person but after two bottles of wine (my first time having Plum wine) I would have probably wanted to stay and watch them do their work the rest of the night and we had to get out on the town and have some fun. We are coming back the next time we are in Ottawa.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I randomly chose this restaurant for an early dinner as we walked by. We were the only ones in the restaurant so we had the full attention of both waitresses, one of whom humored us by taking a bunch of photos - even moving the table over - until we got a good one! Both servers were very attentive and sincerely friendly. The decor is very nice and the bathrooms were clean. The food was very good. The prices are average to higher-end but the portions are pretty generous. The sushi was fresh and the sweet potato fries were nicely done. We enjoyed our meal and would go again.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is one of the best Japanese restaurants in Ottawa. It is expensive but worth every penny. It is located in the ByWard Market area, on Clarence St. The decor and ambiance are lovely. The service is excellent. You should make a reservation if you are planning on going there.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Was in the mood for sushi with some girlfriends and ended up at Wasabi in the Byward Market - our server was adorable and very sweet. The menu was huge so it took us a while to order; it took a while considering the restaurant wasn't too busy. Our food was pretty good, but pretty over priced (especially for a student budget) … we may be scouting out another restaurant when craving sushi next time!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Not an Ottawa resident, but do visit Wasabi each time I'm in town. I've always had great, timely service, always been treated well by the wait staff, and the food has always been excellent. The gyoza are always spot-on; never over-done, never greasy, and definitely never deep-fried (which I've been forced to endure at some "Japanese" restos). For a non-coastal town like Ottawa, the sashimi and sushi are wonderful. Not Vancouver-smashing, but very good in spite of location. Prices are perfectly reasonable for Japanese cuisine.