“It's about the wine list”
Review of Vittoria Trattoria

Vittoria Trattoria
Ranked #13 of 2,856 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed July 12, 2014

There are enough positive notes about this Ottawa landmark. I agree with them. This review is about the wine list.

In short it is extensive, intelligent and reasonably marked up. This time, not my first, I went with five beer drinkers. We needed a red and a white. Scanning the many pages of wine list, I spotted two favourite varietals, a primitivo (Zinfandel) from Puglia and a falanghina from Campania. Each available from two wineries and all four marked up around double to a price that did not frighten the beer drinkers. The waiter did not know the wines, and did not know that the red I chose had to be decanted before drinking. He did refrigerate the white, but only one bottle. For six diners, how hard would it be to cool two just in case? And we did order the second. So, this is not about the service, which was good not great. If you go, consider the wine list. They have sommeliers on site for advice, so consider that as an option.

BTW, the bar is also very extensive, but we had our pre-dinner drinks nearby, so did not sample from that excellent selection.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,484)

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We lucked out and were able to secure a table for two in the main dining area on a busy Sunday night. Vittoria Trattoria has a great ambiance and we had an excellent server. I had a beet and goat cheese salad which was delicious, and my pizza (with tomato, prosciutto, red onion, mozza and goat cheese) was tasty. We had an Ontario wine, and there is very good coffee here. I would definitely recommend this as a place to eat in the Market. Definitely worth a return visit the next time I am in Ottawa.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We went here for a bachelorette dinner. It was the best service and food I have had any where. The service was prompt and friendly. We had a variety of the dishes and they were all excellent. They had a great selection of wine and drinks.. It was a very friendly atmosphere.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We had dinner at Vittoria Trattoria and found the price to be reasonable for what we had. The bread was fresh and very nice. We each had an appetizer and a pasta dish for our mains and enjoyed everything we ate.

Our server pleasant and attentive.

We would go back if we were in the area again.

1  Thank travel4randr
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We were very disappointed in our reservation at Vittoria Trattoria. Our group of 5 was placed on the third floor, in the midst of two loud office parties. Service for our table was very slow, without much of an explanation or apology. The food, when it did come, was fine, but not worth the wait or the price.