“Friendly service and great food overcame the sketchy decor”

Vineyards Wine Bar Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Vineyards Wine Bar Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #268 of 2,746 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Pub, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Toronto, Canada
“Friendly service and great food overcame the sketchy decor”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Wandered around the market area trying to find an affordable restaurant with a menu diverse enough for three kids. Went down the stairs and almost left again. Dark and gloomy and was seated at a rickety round table with wine and beer lists that looked like they'd had beer rinsed off them then left to curl up on a radiator. Well... the meal was more than saved by a genuinely friendly waitress and by food that was better than expected. Two of the $12 steak and fries, one huge Chicken parm, a kids pizza and the Jambalaya. All were great. Also enjoyed a nice German wheat beer. A real surprise.

• Visited March 2013

Somerset, New Jersey
“Cute little place with live music....”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was the 3rd place we went to in the same building. We got a tbl reserved next to the bar... The bar server knows his wine. Good options on cheese/cheese pairing and many options for wine flights. The salads are huge and the food is ok. Great service and a cute little spot to catch some good live music. Dipping oil is really good!

Visited March 2013
Belleville, Canada
“Averages Out”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have been here before, but in truth it was always part of a pub crawl or progressive meal. This time, I thought I'd avail myself of the opportunity to try their food. The scotch selection was excellent, and the server very knowledgeable about it (and, upon overhearing others' conversations with him, he was equally astute at beer and wine knowledge). The wine that accompanied my main course was at a correct temperature. The meal, though, disappointed: the "twelve dollar fries" were cooked acceptably well, but the steak was gristly and far too thin to have been cooked to anyone's desired standard; table service was indifferent throughout. So, when averaging the high scores I would give to the barman for his recommendations, I have to temper the overall with the low scores I'd give for the food and table service.

• Visited February 2013
Ontario
“We love this little place”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I think it is more our emotional fondness for this place for our own personal reasons that makes it a 5/5 for us.

It is a quiet, squidgy and dim place but we love the cozy feeling of it, and we also love the variety of wines and beers we can try here when we visit.

We've eaten the pork tenderloin, steak frites, and several types of the appetizers they serve here and they are all decent, though not remarkable.

• Visited November 2012
toronto, ontario
“Cozy with character”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have been here on 3 different visits to Ottawa. I'll base my review on the latest. My husband loves jazz so we made sure we came on jazz nights. The entertainment was a bit lame (I think because it was a week night the first week of January) but pleasant. It was more to his liking the last two times. Food was good. Two had the $12 fries with steak & salad. It was done to their liking and they were happy with taste and value. The rest was on the high end of average, both in price and taste. Wine was a little expensive, but it was a nice place to relax and visit. Location is right in the market so it's easy to get to. They don't rush you out either.

• Visited January 2013