“Theo's Greek Taverna, Ottawa” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Ottawa
“Theo's Greek Taverna, Ottawa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

We've been going to Theo's Taverna for years, although I haven't been in a while. The food is typical Greek but very good. The atmosphere is excellent, small booths all around the back walls, and it is very welcoming.

• Visited September 2012

Ottawa ON Canada
“Disappointing Mother's Day Dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Theo's has been, for many years, one of our favourite restaurants in Ottawa however it seems they've undergone a change of ownership.

Gone was our favourite server, gone was the showmanship than usually accompanied saganki and gone was our favourite dish from the menu (they've added pasta dishes and pizza....as if there aren't enough places to buy Italian dishes).

The service was friendly if a bit slow (we were not even asked if we'd like a second round of drinks). The food was not up to the old standard (even the pilaf was bland).

It's sad to think that Ottawa has lost one of its gems......perhaps the new owners will turn things around.

• Visited May 2013
Stittsville, Canada
“Good but not as good as in the past”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have been going to Theo's for many years, but it has changed hands fairly recently. I still wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone but honestly it just isn't quite as good as it used to be. It has lost something in many subtle ways I can't put my finger on and I certainly can't put into words - from what it was when Penny and Jerry had this restaurant. This is all a very subtle and subjective lapse in quality and I cannot give or even find any details, but this is just a feeling I have. Everything is still good and OK and I would not turn anyone away from going there but there is just something missing in my annoyingly persistent memory of the past!

I hasten to say this is a still a very good Greek restaurant and I still recommend it and encourage anyone to go there - but I find I go there less often now. Let's say that it is now a 7 instead of an 8 or 9. Still well worth a visit.

How can you praise something but have reservations? I don't know but I still encourage anyone to go there.

Penny Palermo, the former co-owner of Theo's, now seems to have a new restaurant - Pinelopi's Greek Kitchen in Barrhaven. She has been there a couple of years. But I only just found it and I haven't been there yet. I am champing at the bit.

This website insisted on a date but that was all lies. I had to pick one or they wouldn't accept this post at all. They didn't allow me to mention take out either which is what I usually do at this restaurant 90% of the time. And it is VERY GOOD!

• Visited March 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

My favourite Greek restaurant in town. It's amazing food, the service is good. The people are very nice. I can really feel the greek atmosphere at that restaurant (the pictures/objects, the music, the people, etc.). It's a shame that the restaurant isn't very busy (well, during the times I went there). It would be a shame if it would close, because it's such a good restaurant.

• Visited March 2012
“Terrible food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

We've been going to Theo's for years, and unfortunately the current iteration was extremely disappointing. My husband's green beans were canned, my calamari was cooked to a crisp (maybe fried twice), and the saganaki was awful. We won't be going back.

1 Thank K W