“Fun place to eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Tomato

Black Tomato
Ranked #103 of 2,726 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
“Fun place to eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

We chose the Black Tomato on July 1st so that we could sit in the courtyard. As we were 6 in our party, it took some time to get a table but we were not disappointed. A special menu had been prepared and the food came out quite quickly after we ordered which was fine with us,

The meals were OK nothing fancy but certainly better then the average diner.

Always such a treat to sit in the courtyard even on a very hot day. The place was extremely busy but the staff were holding up quite well,

Ottawa, Canada
“Great food, beer & wine when you can wait”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

You know when you get that hankering for a really fantastic burger but you don't want to cook it yourself? Go to the Black Tomato when you feel that way and you will be satisfied. And try a local beer or a glass of wine while you sit back, relax and wait. Admire the stonework of the antique building or order yourself an appetiser because the burgers are cooked to order in a Green Egg and good things take time.

Winter or summer, this is a solid choice for very solid food and competent service in a charming environment. The menu isn't terribly innovative (baked brie anyone?) and it doesn't change very often but it offers a solid selection of reliably delicious food that is sourced locally and cooked with care. And isn't that in itself something to be appreciated?

Visited January 2014
1 Thank spunky_tabby
Durham, North Carolina
“Nice Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

I enjoyed a nice lunch here. The service was very good and so was the food. The menu has a lot of dairy-free and gluten-free options.

Brampton, Canada
“Excellent food - very iffy service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

Sort of found this place while exiting the Rideau Centre. We needed some lunch so decided to stop here. The hostess/server asked if we'd like to sit on the patio - it being a very hot day I asked her if it was shady. Without saying anything she walked over to the patio, we assumed we should follow. Most of the available outdoor seating appeared not to be shaded so we opted to sit indoors. She gestured to a row of tables along the windows and said we could sit where where we like. Maybe it's just her personality, but it came across as being borderline exasperated with us. After we sat down, I said to my husband that I felt like walking out. As it turns out, the food is extraordinary, so I'm glad we stayed.

She brought us some water and offered to give us more time with the menus. After another ten minutes the bartender came by and asked if anyone had taken our order. I asked for recommendation for a light beer and he suggested a Cassel honey brown (which was delicious). I wanted the catfish burger that was listed on the menu but unfortunately they didn't have any left. So I settled on a salad, and also tried some of my husband's pulled pork and deer sandwich. This sandwich was the best thing ever. It was so tasty, flavourful, smoky ... it was just right. Wish I had ordered my own (and my husband probably wishes I had ordered my own too!). The salad was actually fantastic as well, I suspect the greens and veggies used were local as they tasted so fresh and sweet without a hint of bitterness. The balsamic dressing was also mixed just the way I like it.

We especially liked the food here, and we felt that at least the bartender was very service oriented, even if other staff were not. Try the pulled pork and deer sandwich!

“Delicous”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

A great menu and wonderful service! I really have to complement our server (sadly I forget her name). She was so attentive and made sure we wanted for nothing.

Visited June 2014