“Super lunch with a different twist”
Review of Black Tomato

Black Tomato
Ranked #95 of 2,749 Restaurants in Ottawa
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Riverview, New Brunswick, Canada
“Super lunch with a different twist”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I was recently looking for something different for lunch and decided to try the Black Tomato on the corner of Sussex and George near (or in) the Byward Market. I lucked out in my choosing. I had onion soup and a cheese burger - boring right? Not here. My onion soup had a bread and cheese topping that was different and really complimented the onions. My burger was terrific. Nice size burger, not too huge, caramelized onions, double smoked local sourced bacon, and gruyere cheese topped with a mayo based sauce that was used sparingly and enhanced the flavour. All of this was nestled in a soft, designer bun of some type. Really great. This was complimented by a local craft beer that was chosen by my very knowledgable server. A really great lunch at a very reasonable price.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Paul B

Skillman, New Jersey
“Good food and pleasant atmosphere”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We were served from a special menu for a large group in a private room.
We did not see the entire menu but our food was very good. I had salmon cooked perfectly which I am fussy about. So often it is overcooked.
Had bites of a lovely chicken dish that was superb in flavor.
The roasted pepper soup was surprisingly delicious.
The service was fine not terrific but this was a big group and difficult to serve.
Give it a try in the Byward area of Ottawa

• Visited February 2014
“A great place to eat in Byward Market!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Still very impressive after two visits! Love the baked Brie and the burgers are excellent. Everything I've tried has been quits tasty.

• Visited January 2014
Ottawa, Canada
“Lovely food, but freeeeezing cold!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I had lunch here today with my husband, teenage children and Mother-in-law visiting from Europe. It was our first trip to the restaurant. The food was very good, delicious french onion soup followed by various burgers and sandwiches, all of which were nicely presented and very tasty, and also very reasonably priced. In fairness it was an EXTREMELY cold day today (about -26'), but the temperature inside the restaurant was unacceptably cold, every time the door opened we were met with an arctic blast. I asked if we could move tables but was told that the other end of the restaurant was even colder! We sat with our very heavy winter coats on for the duration of the meal, and quite honestly couldn't wait to leave and get out to the shops to warm up! We will return to this restaurant as the food was very good, but definitely not until the summer!!

• Visited January 2014
Niagara Falls Ontario
“good spot”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We dined here on the reccommendation for a light meal. The menu was rather unique and the food and service excellent. The fare well prepared and very tasty. They also have a very wide assortment of beers and wines as well as the usual bar services. Definately a restaurant worthy of a return visit.

• Visited December 2013