“A happy find!”

Ranked #99 of 2,823 Restaurants in Ottawa
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Looking for somewhere to rest my weary feet after a walking tour I happened upon this place. It was really great! Fantastic food, good music, friendly but not overly intrusive waitstaff, great ambience and location and an amazing selection of wine and local beers on tap!
The house smoked salmon wrap was pure lipsmacking tastiness and the whole restaurant just smelled delicious. You can tell they are making everything there fresh!
Definitely going back next time I'm in Ottawa.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I have been going to this restaurant on and off for years. Sometimes when you return back to an old favourite it disappoints. The Black Tomato never has thus far. The decor of exposed stone and huge old beams really makes you appreciate that you are in old Bytowne, great p,ace to have dinner on a rainy night in fall! They mark the menu with gluten and dairy free for appropriate foods and this accurate at least for what my friend ate who is both! She did nit have any difficulties afterwards. The server was upbeat but unobtrusive and was able to make good recommendations. Tables along the wall by the windows are the best. It can be busy so if you want these tables reserve. In the summer it has a great open air patio away from traffic.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Went there for lunch with coworkers. It was drizzling out, so didn't get a chance to enjoy the patio. None of us likes the atmosphere there. It would have been OK if not for the terrible retro music. Combined with the dark interior, it gave it a post-apocalyptic feel.
The food took a while to arrive, but it was pretty good. I had a duck confit salad, the duck was painfully salty, but still edible. The rest of us enjoyed their meals.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

The food is excellent, at a price point to be expected for a place within the ByWard Market area of Ottawa. However, where the Black Tomato really stood out was with their beer flights. For eight dollars, you’re able to pick 4 x 5 oz samples from a list of local craft brewers. Each brewer had about four choices, so the possible combinations were endless. The flights were so popular that we had hoped to come back another night just for drinks at the bar, however they aren’t really set up for bar seating.

As for the food, I had ordered the Jambalaya, which was advertised as “Hot! Hot! Hot!” and lived up to about two of those “Hot!”s. They did an excellent job of balancing the flavours, filled it with seafood, and didn’t overwhelm it with too much heat. The portion size was also good. Since the entire ByWard area seems to be dominated by mass-produced beers, the Black Tomato was a pleasant surprise. We had hoped for patio seating, but with a group of 12 we were happy they were able to seat us at all. We’ll save the patio for our next trip.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

There isn't one bad thing, for me, that can be said about Black Tomato. I went there on Friday with my other half and ordered a feast. I had the cheeseboard for starters and he had calamari. The calamari dish was huge, but it was well cooked and the sauce had just the right amount of kick. The cheeseboard was my favourite. Morsel after morsel of pure indulgence. I half regretted not stopping there! The board came with three types of cheese, all of which melted in my mouth, some grapes and some walnuts drizzled in honey. Oh, my.

For my main course, I ordered duck confit. This was also a delicious dish - the meath just fell off the bone and melted in my mouth. I don't even remember what my other half ordered as I was focusing too much on mine.

For each dish, a recommended wine is listed in the menu. They also have an extensive beer supply.

Definitely my favourite restaurant during my two week holiday.