“More than at first glance...”

The Black Thorn Cafe
Ranked #966 of 2,882 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Cafe, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Since it first opened in 1999, The Black Thorn Cafe has been providing guests with locally sourced ingredients and scratch cooking. Friendly, knowledgeable service and our cozy atmosphere combine with our menu to offer guests a one of a kind dining experience. Our dining room and back patio overlook the historic Tin House Courtyard for a fantastic view winter or summer.
Reviewed June 22, 2014

My friend and I were strolling in the Market looking for a spot for brunch and asked to peruse the menu to see if they offered anything interesting, and at first glance we saw an attractive little street-side patio with all the umbrella tables taken... that's when we were taken through the restaurant to this shade/covered large back patio... if you want to people watch and be seen this isn't for you... but we wanted a meal outdoors and a lively conversation - and this section was perfect!

I chose the Eggs Benedict with the smoked salmon option - "house smoked with rum" made this salmon particularly tasty! Eggs perfectly poached and on just enough English muffin (why waste an appetite on bread!) with home-fried potatoes were also perfectly cooked a very tasty with savory herbs recipe... fresh fruit was nice, and yes fresh... Coffee was average, but plentiful...

My friend chose the three-egg omelet with chicken, caramelized onions and brie cheese and was very happy with - I had a taste and can confirm it was good.

Service was friendly and good, though our server brought only one napkin/cutlery set initially... no feeling of being rushed at any time despite the growing number of diners in the section...

I definitely plan to return and try a lunch or supper later this summer! I found the atmosphere very relaxing, and they offer some interesting and different meal choices!

1  Thank Mary R

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I ate today at The Black Thorn Cafe for the first time, but definitely not the last. The striploin pizza had blue cheese sauce, carmelized onions, mushrooms, mozzarella, and was garnished with arugala. An absolutely scrumptious combination!! I will definitely return to sample their other menu offerings .

Reviewed March 31, 2014

While in town on business I asked the 20 something concierge where I could grab a quick lunch. She mentioned living near this place and suggested going for mussels. Good recommendation.

The pub area is cozy and inviting. It was a Saturday afternoon and there was no crowd given it was winter and cold. Mussels were prepared three ways. I chose the classic form to balance the Cave Spring Reisling. Bonus points for a nice wine by the glass and bottle list to complement the food.

Mussels were followed by a fresh pizza.

Black Thorn gave me everything I wanted without pretense and nothing more.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Went in for a quick bite and drink. The small pub/bar area had a very pleasant and peaceful atmosphere. Extremely quick and friendly service. They were out of a few local draughts but still had some variety available. The food was just ok. Their burger buns seemed store bought and the home-made-eqsue fries were ok. The flavour and sauce of their pulled pork was delicious though.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Black Thorn Cafe is located in an older building (with lots of charm and a great patio) in the Market Area of Ottawa. The staff were great, prices very reasonable but the menu is limited in it's selection.

The restaurant is also fairly small so I would suggest a reservation (we had one).

I tried the Lobster salad which was wonderful. Decent selection of beers and wines.