“real food made by a chef”

The Black Thorn Cafe
Ranked #988 of 2,856 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Cafe, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Since it first opened in 1999, The Black Thorn Cafe has been providing guests with locally sourced ingredients and scratch cooking. Friendly, knowledgeable service and our cozy atmosphere combine with our menu to offer guests a one of a kind dining experience. Our dining room and back patio overlook the historic Tin House Courtyard for a fantastic view winter or summer.
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Nice decor but kind of noisy (lots of hipsters packed in). Organic meat. Kind of high prices at supper time ($30 for an entree). The good thing is that this is real food made by real chefs, not processed food microwaved by teenagers like you get at chain restaurants. On the downside, the taste was kind of overpowering for me. I don't know how much explosive flavour I can handle or where it comes from.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

When you are away from home, at least you look for places that can give you a different experience and this place covers this perfectly. Food is delicious, well sized, the place atmosphere is right to get a great night. I highly recommend the duck: Delicious.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I ordered the salmon salad and it tastes like someone splashing vinegar directly into your mouth (and I usually love vinegrettes). The Chef was clearly heavy handed with the dressing.

Towards the end of the meal there was a surprize in my food - a long hair. A few mins after my unfortunate discovery I got up to tell the waitress. She said that since I had not told her at the beginning of the meal there was nothing that could be done. I only wish I had found the hair before I put my fork into my dinner, how was I suppose to have forseen that there would be problem with my meal?

The hostess was lovely, and should replace the waitress who was apathetic in many ways.

If you want an amazing dining experience check out Absinthe on 1208 Wellington. It's about the same price as Black Thorn (but doesn't have pub food) but a delight to go to every time.

4  Thank Diana V
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I ordered a salmon salad. The salmon was too cold to chew on, was not fresh at all, and had a stale taste to it. Though this was not specified on the menu,the onions were way too pickled, making the whole salad sour. Also, the waiter was just terrible, she was very defensive and got really annoyed and rude. Additionally, the tables were way too small to fit 4 people, despite making a reservation. Overall, terrible experience. Your money deserves to be better spent somewhere else.

6  Thank Crystal O
Reviewed February 9, 2013

After having read the mediocre reviews on tripadvisor for the Black Thorn I should not have gone to this restaurant.

If I could give this restaurant a rating of zero I would.

- I ordered a chicken dish. The chicken was dry and tasteless, as was the rest of the food. The vegetables were hardly cooked and seemed to be taken from a frozen vegetable package. It was not worth the price and I could only stand eating a few bites. It was overpriced and disgusting.
-When I suggested to the waitress that the dish should probably not be on the menu she became defensive and sour. The waitress was also almost non-existent during most of the meal.
-One of the other people I was eating with had hair in their food.

-Avoid this restaurant.
-There are much better options in the byward market.

The dinner was tense because we were displeased with our food. If you want to go away from a meal feeling disgusted and upset I would suggest eating here.

10  Thank Natalie2012Ottawa
Ryan O, Owner at The Black Thorn Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Hello Natalie 2012,

I was very surprised to read your comments regarding your experience at The Black Thorn on Saturday night. We have been in operation for 14 years and I am quite certain that would not be the case if we served food like you describe. Our chicken is from a local farm just outside Ottawa. It is free range, grain fed and hardly tasteless as it is one of our top sellers.

Also, we have never, ever bought or served frozen vegetables. in fact, we buy as much local produce as we can when in season.

In the future, if you would like to go online and post comments about your dining experience, wherever that may be, why not post something constructive. I'm sure those who use this site as a resource would find it much more helpful.