“Restaurant From Hell - total garbage”

The Black Thorn Cafe
Ranked #725 of 2,746 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Cafe, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Since it first opened in 1999, The Black Thorn Cafe has been providing guests with locally sourced ingredients and scratch cooking. Friendly, knowledgeable service and our cozy atmosphere combine with our menu to offer guests a one of a kind dining experience. Our dining room and back patio overlook the historic Tin House Courtyard for a fantastic view winter or summer.
Ottawa
“Restaurant From Hell - total garbage”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

After having read the mediocre reviews on tripadvisor for the Black Thorn I should not have gone to this restaurant.

If I could give this restaurant a rating of zero I would.

- I ordered a chicken dish. The chicken was dry and tasteless, as was the rest of the food. The vegetables were hardly cooked and seemed to be taken from a frozen vegetable package. It was not worth the price and I could only stand eating a few bites. It was overpriced and disgusting.
-When I suggested to the waitress that the dish should probably not be on the menu she became defensive and sour. The waitress was also almost non-existent during most of the meal.
-One of the other people I was eating with had hair in their food.

-Avoid this restaurant.
-There are much better options in the byward market.

The dinner was tense because we were displeased with our food. If you want to go away from a meal feeling disgusted and upset I would suggest eating here.

• Visited February 2013
10 Thank Natalie2012Ottawa
Ryan O, Owner at The Black Thorn Cafe, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hello Natalie 2012,

I was very surprised to read your comments regarding your experience at The Black Thorn on Saturday night. We have been in operation for 14 years and I am quite certain that would not be the case if we served food like you describe. Our chicken is from a local farm just outside Ottawa. It is free range, grain fed and hardly tasteless as it is one of our top sellers.

Also, we have never, ever bought or served frozen vegetables. in fact, we buy as much local produce as we can when in season.

In the future, if you would like to go online and post comments about your dining experience, wherever that may be, why not post something constructive. I'm sure those who use this site as a resource would find it much more helpful.

“Service terrible”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Me and my friend sat down, we waited 45 minutes and nobody ever came to offer us water, menu nothing. I have never experienced that in my life. When me and my friend walked out and left, the waitresses looked at me and said sorry. Wow! My best friend had made reservations there for her bday and made her cancel. I'll never recommend this place to anyone and ill discourage anybody that wants to go there.

4 Thank Djzabber
Ottawa, Canada
“great service”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

First visit - was there for a drink and shared a charcuterie and cheese platter with a friend after work. Really great service. The pink lemonade was nice and cool. Will go back in the summer to enjoy both on their patio.

Canada
“A Favorite of Ours”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

TA should really update the average cost of a meal to 25-40 dollars. The 10-20 dollars is for the sandwich menu served at lunch. The dinner menu has been changed to the season and the 'pub' food has become pricier than "Social" down the street. We opted for Social and by the quality of the food at "Social", maybe just maybe we should have given the Black Thorn 's new menu a try.

Toronto, Canada
“Inexperienced”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I visited the Black Thorn the other week on a Thursday and was very displeased with my experience. For the price, the execution was incredibly lacking. Sloppy presentation led way to lackluster tastes (my sweet potato mash tasted like salt and chalk). Furthermore, the server could not tell me what was in the mash without checking with someone in the kitchen first. I also had to ask for a steak knife. At the same time, I ordered a bottle of wine yet it didn't arrive until about 10 minutes AFTER the steak knife. I was then quickly rushed through the tasting process as the server seemed to be extremely busy.

I've been here in the past many times and always had a great experience. Most recently, I visited with a business colleague in the summer and our server was incredibly professional and attentive. It also seemed he knew absolutely everything there was to know about the menu making our experience enjoyable. I wish I could remember our server's name but he was a leaner guy with a comb over.

Anyways, just goes to show you that consistency can go a long way as I might try somewhere else next time I'm in the market.

1 Thank Fezzer23