“soooooo good”

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 8, 2013

great little place in the heart of Chinatown. tonnes of veg/an options. standouts include pepper salt tofu, wu se vegetables, green beans and a plethora of eggplant dishes. owner will strike up a conversation and give you is 20 cents, ambience isn't great, good value for your dollar.

There are newer reviews for So Good Restaurant

Reviewed July 22, 2013

As visitors to Ottawa we went off to Chinatown with no restaurant in mind and ended up in the So Good because it looked busy and a lady outside said it was the best Chinese food in Ottawa. The recommendation helped as the décor is, ahem, rustic. A bucket to catch the air conditioner drips lurks at the door and there isn't a table and chair that matched on the inside. Fear not, however, for the food is delivered with excellent pace and is very tasty. We started with a veritable pile of veggie spring rolls and were still motoring out way through these when our main courses appeared. Both were delicious, huge in size but we had no need for carry-home tubs (which everyone else was leaving with) as we polished off the lot. Best Chinese food I've had in ages.

1  Thank LJGscotia
Reviewed July 15, 2013

It is soooo good :) I've been there several times. My chinese co-workers all recommend this place. The food is just great (as usual there are hundreds of items on the menu). The portions are really big, I can never finish them. I love the woosoo chicken (with peanuts). The decor is hideous, but who cares when the food is this good! The service is very good too.

Last time I went with a big group of friends and when they found out it was my birthday, they gave me a very nice set of chinese chopsticks as a gift- I was so touched by their gesture (I can't eat with chopsticks though, but I may have to start practising now!)

1  Thank ScaredySquirrel
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Four of us happened to get a table in the corner right away on a Friday night. We had picked out another restaurant in Chinatown, but the parking on Somerset West was limited. We parked on a side street and as we were walking to the restaurant, I asked a woman in the neighborhood about that restaurant. She said it was adequate, but she recommended So Good. It was also nearby and we were anxious to try something different.
The restaurant is small and filled up fast. The menu is varied, not just Chinese, but with vegetarian, Vietnamese, Taiwanese and Thai dishes, too, reflecting the diverse neighborhood.
I ordered a combination plate, but was disappointed there were only about 5 choices. Almost everything on the menu is a la carte.
I got sweet & sour shrimp (about 6 big ones) along with scallop chop suey and rice. The dinner came with a spring roll, which was tasty. The shrimp was good, but the scallops were very tiny and white, resembling mini-marshmallows. The dinner came with a big mound of crisp chop suey. I was surprised and delighted that the meals arrived hot!
The portions are good-sized. One of my friends ordered Thai pad and could only eat about one-third. Another friend had curried shrimp and it looked delicious.
We also got two pots of hot tea with our meal. What the restaurant lacks in atmosphere (one plain room with sparse elbow room), it makes up with apparently loyal customers. A gentleman and his wife at the table next to us said they hadn't been here in 20 years, since the restaurant opened. One family of 10 came in and took up one banquet table by the window (could have been celebrating Mother's Day early or another holiday) and I was surprised at how quickly they were served. Service is good and the waitresses seem knowledgeable about the menu and probably know many of their customers.
Peter, the amiable owner, was very visible, and busy as a beaver, scrambling to answer the phones, ring out customers and keeping the waitresses and kitchen staff in line.
Prices are comparable to a typical Chinese restaurant, but I imagine better than most restaurants in trendier neighborhoods in Ottawa. Though So Good is not fancy, it's probably worth a visit on a slower night. I would like to see it live up to its name.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I think the title says it all. If you are looking for a "proper ambience" and five star dining, you can go spend a couple of hundred bucks on a steakhouse. However, if you are looking for fresh, tasteful and authentic Chinese/Oriental food, this is it!
Service is also okay and Peter So (owner) is very interesting.

1  Thank talktoharpreet