“Poor Service, No Dress Code”

Signatures Restaurant
Ranked #171 of 2,746 Restaurants in Ottawa
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Signatures Restaurant offers you exceptional cuisine, a unique setting and luxurious hospitality for your next culinary experience. Signatures Restaurant brings a modern twist to a fine dining experience. Combining modern cuisine with relaxing decor and a stress-free ambience, Signatures can be your oasis. Our menus showcase an outstanding selection of local seasonal ingredients with bold creativity and artistic presentations during lunch or dinner. Every week we will feature a new original lunch menu showcasing the talents of our dedicated team. Our dinner menus also reflect the changes of the seasons. Located in the historic Munross mansion, just steps from the Rideau River, Signatures Restaurant offers elegantly appointed banquet and private dining rooms, winding staircases and crystal chandeliers, something unique to the city of Ottawa.
Canada
“Poor Service, No Dress Code”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I took my family to Signature this evening for a birthday celebration and had made reservations online with mention in the comment section that this was for a birthday celebration. Being the Cordon Bleu, we got dressed up similarly to our visits to Michelin Star restaurants in Manhattan. When we arrived at the restaurant, a young couple dressed in jeans and sweats who had arrived right before us was seated in the dining room while we were taken to a back room that had an empty buffet table pushed against the wall and two other tables beside ours. We were offered drinks and menus then I asked why we were not seated in the main dining room. After a 10 minutes wait we were taken to a table in the main dining room but asked to take our menus with us. The waitress brought the drinks to our new table and were wrongly assigned. This was the beginning of an evening of very poor service as the appetizer course, the main course, the desert course, and even the round of coffee were all wrongly assigned; and then the bill was dropped at the table without being asked if we wanted anything else or offered coffee refills. I noticed that other patrons celebrating birthdays had a “Happy Birthday” written on their desert plate, but not us.
I also observed a group of 6 people seated in the main dining room, all sloppily dressed in sweats, shorts and beachwear. I wished that the Cordon Bleu had an enforced dress code, kind of trashy.
The food was very good, well prepared, imaginative and well presented. The service was very poor, awkward and never was the right plate placed in front of the right person. Would I recommend this restaurant? Yes for the food but not with that type of service; wait for a turnover of staff or possibly retraining.

The poor service and the lack of a proper dress code insult the patrons and cheapen the quality of the food.

• Visited June 2013
7 Thank LikeABigPizzaPie

Ottawa, Canada
“Wednesday evening special - not to be missed”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My friends recommended that we join them at Signatures. Our firet time visit and I will definitely return on Wednesdays and pass the word around. Beautiful setting, attentive service, at an exceptional value for a 4 course set menu. $99 per couple, bottle of wine included, tax and gratuity extra. The starter was duck cromesquis with fig compote and frisé salad, followed by a cream of asparagus soup. My only complaint was that the soup was not hot enough, but very tasty. The main course was a hanger steak....perfectly cooked , medium rare and very tender. Finished with an orange gratin with mango and rum gelé dessert. All very nicely presented. We arrived for a 5:30 seating after work. It was quite full by 6:30 pm and we left about 3 hours later. I can t comment on the a la carte menu but it seemed extensive. We enjoyed good company and an excellent upscale meal at a price well worth trying at least once!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank rockport
Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent meal with friends.”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My wife and I invited another couple to share an evening dinner. All 4 of us have been to the Signature many times but it was our first time for the Wednesday only special Chef Yannick Anton's 4 course special
$99.95 per couple
Includes 1 bottle of red or white wine with meal
Taxes & Gratuities extra.
As we chose a wine other then the wine they suggested, they deducted $25 for each of our 2 bottles of red Bordeau.
The meal was exquisite and the service impeccable. This will certainly not be our last Wednesday evening meal at the Signature.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank cdjen
Toronto, Canada
“Looks fancy but the taste is only ok”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've eaten in some very elegant and highly rated restaurants so I was a little disappointed in the food. It was expertly prepared and presented and the service was great but it was just lacking that really tasty factor. A lot of money for fancy looking food without a lot of flavour.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank TOtraveller66
ottawa
“awesome deal”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

visited the restaurant with family for my birthday. The Wednesday Signature special was very well priced and excellent. Although I do not eat pork, they substituted it with fish. The price per couple was unbeatable and the wine, well chosen
I'll definitely recommend it
and of course the service was impeccable
Well done