“India in Canada”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This eating place is in the Byward Market area of the city, a nice friendly atmosphere with a reasonably varied menu at a fair price.
I had the beef curry at the spice level of my choice, it took a little time to come but was very tasty and well presented.

1  Thank davylad49
There are newer reviews for Shafali Restaurant

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I do not recommending this restaurant kebabs. What I ate could not name as "Kebab" May be some other name could. Meat, mixture and cooking way were not proper. Nan was good. Soup and rice were heat up in microwave but over.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Short and sweet....they cater to tourist clientelle and that's too bad. While food is average to very good, the portions are tiny and overpriced. WAY overpriced! $5. for tblsp of chutney?! Homemade yoghurt? I think not. Too runny..just watered down commercial yoghurt but pricey. But it's the run down uninspired decor and lack of ventilation that "reeks" of tourist trap! You leave there with smell of fried onions on clothing. There was a greasy spoon haze that had our party of friends all choking and begging for windows to be opened or better yet..ventilation. There are far better Indian Resto's in this city. Too bad for tourists, Ottawans and the owners! Shows lack of pride and feelings of being gouged.
Won't find me returning or recommending it. Six of us vowed to never return.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were recently staying at the Westin in central Ottawa, and had a desire for Indian. Chose Shafali based on its central location, and comments here on TripAdvisor.

Wonderful aromas coming from the open kitchen. We chose the combination dinners. I suspect the items on the combination dinners were already prepared. Most of the food was tasty, but sadly it was only served 'warm' (not hot). Although the combination dinners are a better value, I would recommend going with the a la carte dishes, to ensure fresh preparation. The naan tasted like pizza dough rather than true naan.

Service was friendly but not always prompt.

Next time in Ottawa, I'd probably seek out a different Indian restaurant.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We ate here because it looked like a nice casual place for dinner and we missed Indian food.
The food was ok - the meat was tender - but not brilliant. For spice, go hotter as Medium is closer to mild. The naan bread seemed pre-prepared and stiff.
They offer a beer and curry deal but its a non descript chicken curry and only 1 type of beer.
Overall not good value.
We were disappointed in the service and we asked for the check and waited and waited only to find them standing at the register waiting for us! They never said "pay at register".