“Food for tourists”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Short and sweet....they cater to tourist clientelle and that's too bad. While food is average to very good, the portions are tiny and overpriced. WAY overpriced! $5. for tblsp of chutney?! Homemade yoghurt? I think not. Too runny..just watered down commercial yoghurt but pricey. But it's the run down uninspired decor and lack of ventilation that "reeks" of tourist trap! You leave there with smell of fried onions on clothing. There was a greasy spoon haze that had our party of friends all choking and begging for windows to be opened or better yet..ventilation. There are far better Indian Resto's in this city. Too bad for tourists, Ottawans and the owners! Shows lack of pride and feelings of being gouged.
Won't find me returning or recommending it. Six of us vowed to never return.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were recently staying at the Westin in central Ottawa, and had a desire for Indian. Chose Shafali based on its central location, and comments here on TripAdvisor.

Wonderful aromas coming from the open kitchen. We chose the combination dinners. I suspect the items on the combination dinners were already prepared. Most of the food was tasty, but sadly it was only served 'warm' (not hot). Although the combination dinners are a better value, I would recommend going with the a la carte dishes, to ensure fresh preparation. The naan tasted like pizza dough rather than true naan.

Service was friendly but not always prompt.

Next time in Ottawa, I'd probably seek out a different Indian restaurant.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We ate here because it looked like a nice casual place for dinner and we missed Indian food.
The food was ok - the meat was tender - but not brilliant. For spice, go hotter as Medium is closer to mild. The naan bread seemed pre-prepared and stiff.
They offer a beer and curry deal but its a non descript chicken curry and only 1 type of beer.
Overall not good value.
We were disappointed in the service and we asked for the check and waited and waited only to find them standing at the register waiting for us! They never said "pay at register".

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I tried this place last night in Ottawa and it didn't disappoint. The service was friendly and prompt. The food was definitely the star of the night. We decided to have the combination dinner for 2, but neither of us like lamb. The waiter told us this is not a problem and that we could substitute something else. We choose to try the vegetable malay. The appetizer platter had onion bhaji, samosas and salad. Then the main courses came. Naan and rice, with butter chicken, vegetable malay and aloo gobi. It was the best butter chicken I have had in Canada. The sauce was rich and creamy, but also had a lot of flavour and spices in it. I haven't had a great curry since leaving the UK. The malay had a variety of vegetables in a creamy coconut sauce that was medium spiced. It was amazing. The dessert was a rice pudding.

I would highly recommend this restaurant, which is located at the end of the Byward Market.

1  Thank 35CanuckGirl
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Living at just a 5 min walk distance, we passed through this small restaurant a couple times, before we actually chose to eat there. The restaurant is on Dalhousie, surrounded by over 100 restaurants, simple cafes, extremely inviting road side eating places. We usually tend to get charmed by the more flashy ones and that's whats happened with us during the first three days of our stay there!

It was our fourth day of stay on Ottawa and we decided to try the small one next door for lunch! We expected a buffet there but to our surprise the restaurant offers meal combos instead. I ordered Saag Paneer which was served with rice and salad on the side. I simply loved the idea of finely chopped salad topped with a tangy sauce with a heavy gravy-rice dish! The taste was excellent and the portion size was okay (could be a little more). I also liked the dinner combo options on the menu, just like an Indian Thali ( a combination of bread, rice, gravy and vegetable ). We also tried the veg roll which was very tasty (again a little high priced for its ingredients), infact I would highly recommend people to try it!! The chicken biryani was average tasting
The found it a little overpriced but definitely worth a visit once in a while.

2  Thank Ratika B