“Good fusion”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Cross street: Sussex
Transit: Located just steps away from all major bus routes in the city.
Ottawa, Canada
“Good fusion”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Coming back from a business trip earlier in the day, headed to Sante for dinner. I am a sucker for Thai soups so had the Thai Tom. Wonderful broth, very vibrant flavors. Like a party in your mouth. My partner I was dining with, she ordered the Thai crab salad. The lime dressing was great. For our entrée, I ordered the Thai curry (yes, was in the mood that vibrant fresh thai cuisine). It was perfectly balanced with just enough spice. Very light for a green curry sauce. My partner ordered the organic salmon. The salmon was perfectly cooked and not dry at all. My pet peeve is dry salmon. We had a Riesling to start and finished off with a pinot gris. Overall good experience. Only problem was the wine list. With their cuisine I thought they should put a Gewurtz or more Alsatian whites on the menu. Overall it is truly one of the best fusion restaurants in Ottawa. Getting ready for another business trip. Happy eating.

• Visited April 2014

Toronto, Canada
“Great food, service and atmosphere”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I have just walked in the door, having experienced a terrific lunch time meal at Sante. From the food to the ambience to the extremely well-paced and professional service of the meal, my partner and I came away agree that we must return -- and pronto! We each had the table d'hote. For everything thing that was included, I did not find the $30 price expensive. Mine started off with a well-prepared, light tom yum soup, flavoured subtly and beautifully, featuring mussels and shrimp. Hers was a well-presented and delicious beet salad. For a main, I ordered the shrimp and chicken stir fry, accompanied by brown rice. The sauce was tasty, the shrimp perfectly cooked and the chicken quite tender. The vegetables included a nice variety, crisp and perfectly seasoned. My partner had the fish of the day served with rice and well-prepared vegetables. She called it 'delicious' and remarked that the fish - from Viet Nam - was perfectly cooked. For dessert, I had an espresso chocolate cake (flourless) served with a fruit compote - two heavenly slices - one which accompanied me home. My partner had a fruit crumble with whipped cream and it, too, was excellent. The desserts are not made on-site but rather at a bakery in Perth - a neighboring town. Excellent both. The place is sun-filled with floor to ceiling windows on two sides, overlooking Rideau Street. The music was Norah Jones, played quietly. Lots of people but the tables are placed far enough apart that you do not become involved in the conversations of others. Our server was polite and well informed. The overall experience is one I would highly recommend and very much look forward to returning to.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank joanwOttawa_Ontario
Ottawa
“Best Pad Thai in Ottawa”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

The Royal Thai once held the distinction of serving the best Pad Thai in the city but I have to admit that Santé has moved into first place.

Santé presents with a lot of positives. The wait staffs are polished and professional, the kitchen is excellent and the view of Sussex and Rideau, the heart of the city, is unparalleled.

The table d’hôte is quite good and really well priced at $45. The three courses are a good representation of a la carte selections.

The appetizers are distinctly Thai with lots of lime, peanuts, sprouts and the like. We had the crab cakes and the Thai spring role sampler to start. Both were delicious.

For mains the Pad Thai was as previously discussed – outstanding. The Angus steak with crisp well prepared vegetables was very fine.

Dessert is good. The flourless chocolate cake was like my mom’s fudge and the suggestion from the savvy server to dunk it in my coffee was a bonus. The apple crumble was good.

The wine list is well thought out with some exceptional boutique Ontario winery selections otherwise hard to find.

Service from greeting to goodbye is sophisticated and skilled.

I continue to love this place...

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank IntSommelier
Ottawa, Canada
“Never Again”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I want to Sante a few time over the last 18 months... It is going the wrong way.
On Valentine Day I was there with my wife. It appeared busy (expected), and the services were not very good. Nobody was paying attention to us, we had to ask for water, a proper stake knife, the "medium" steak was "blue". Anyway, we were not very pleased but my argument to my wife was that it was busy, they probably had casual staff and on a normal night they will go back to the reasonable service we had before. And we went again on a Saturday.... It was not busy and I am sure that the staff will recognize who I am, but I think they need a wake up call. So, the food was OK, not great, but sort of in line with the "norm" Sante has established. It is still too expensive for what they offer. However, they brought us some thin sliced frozen bread after we asked for it twice, they were out-of-desserts (On a Saturday Evening, really?), they had one option which looked and tasted that it was cooked on Valentine's day, got the coffee but not the sugar and milk... No attention to the customer whatsoever, and there were exactly 5 tables with customers...

Extremely disappointing, will not go back again. Ever.

• Visited March 2014
Cody L, Manager at Sante Restaurant, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
First of all Thank you very much for taking your time to give us feedback, It is the best way improve our business. I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your most recent visit to Sante. I am disappointed to hear the food you were provided along with the service was not near what it should have been. I would like to take this opportunity to invite back in for a complimentary dinner to show you that this really is a rare occurrence. I very much appreciate your time and I would like to once again apologize for your experience. What you have described does not meet the standards that we thrive to provide our valued guests.

Please call or email me to discuss your experience in further detail as well as set up a return visit, at 613-562-5678 or cody.lennox@santerestaurant.com

Cody Lennox
General Manager, Sante Restaurant and Art Gallery
Gatineau
“Expensive for what you get: dated decor, so-so menu, but great service”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The menu focusses on Thai dishes, but the flavours fall flat for the most part. My husband and I had a delicious crab salad to start, followed by an acceptable pad thai and a tasteless green curry. The dishes were also lukewarm. The apple-cranberry dessert was warm and tasty but the flourless chocolate cake and ice cream were tasteless.
The tables are old, the walls are stained with wine splashes, huge nail polish stains in the washroom, the windows are dirty and the art work is barely noticeable.
The service was great though, although when we called for later reservations, they could only accommodate a half-hour later yet the restaurant was half-full the whole time we were there.
It seems like the owner does not seem to care about her/his establishment.... There are too many great places to eat in Ottawa now. Go elsewhere!

• Visited January 2014