“Identity Crisis”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The original Royal Thai closed to share space with Imperial Palace. This place now seems more like a cheap chinease. Food use to be amazing at Royal Thai worth overlooking the crappy service. Now the food isn't great - the meal was very oily, very salty, and shiny in the Chinease style. Where is the authentic Thai experience in Ottawa these days???

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I've visited a few times, and whether it's spicy or mild you're after you'll find something to suit your taste at Royal Thai. My favorite has to be the coconut and shrimp soup though; I've been known to go on a cold day and have a few servings of this rather than only one and other dishes. It's a must-have on any visit.

The location is convenient if you're shopping in the Byward Market and it's only a short walk from the Rideau Centre too. The service has always been quick and courteous, the prices are reasonable, and I've yet to have a meal I didn't enjoy.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I had pad thai and did not like it. I didn't even bring it home. It was too thick and overpoweringly spicy. This was my first thai experience and I was not impressed.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We are never disappointed with our choices. One can choose from either the Chinese or Thai menu which is a bonus. The hot and sour soup with coconut milk is divine. The Pad Thai is also a winner.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We are more or less regulars and have been going there for years. Their food is constant, nicely prepared and presented. The member of staff-owners are forever welcoming. They have since joined Imperial Palace located diagonally across the street.