“Great beer selection and atmosphere”
Review of Pub Italia

Pub Italia
Ranked #234 of 2,749 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Ottawa, Canada
“Great beer selection and atmosphere”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

A group of us used to visit weekly. We were welcomed and settled right in for beer and nachos late in the evening. The absolute best selection of beer I've ever seen!!

Ottawa, Canada
“It's about the experience”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

A couple visited us in Ottawa in mid-September. We went to Urban Pear the first evening, but the next evening we were looking for something casual and fun. Pub Italia delivered! It's all about the decor with its tongue-in-cheek church decor providing an amazing ambience. The restaurant has multiple rooms linked together with corridors that feel like a maze. We asked to be seated in the Abbey, but any room would have been fine - they all provided a fantastic atmosphere. The beer selection was huge. The wine selection is much less extensive, althought they had an 1997 Amarone which was quite good. The food is OK - no culinary experience, but then again, that is not what we were looking for. I would go back again - with a group of co-workers, friends, family. The place is versatile and a must try in Ottawa!

• Visited September 2012
Maple, Canada
“Fantastic Beer Selection”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

If you want a great beer selection both on draft an in bottle you be hard pressed to find a better spot that Pub Italia. If you want decent food however, you are better of at the hotdog cart down the street.

Visited September 2012
“Marginal Dinner”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I think this is more of a pub than a restaurant. Great choices of beer but the food was marginal - not very hot. The calamari was good but everthing else was average to poor. The service was not great eithr.

Visited August 2012
“Unique dining experience”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My sister and I visited Pub Italia on a Tuesday night before attending a concert. Located in Ottawa's Little Italy, this is a truly unique restaurant, combining delicious food, an unbelievable selection of beers from around the world with a monastic theme. The restaurant is very cosy, with rather dim lighting, lots of wood and all sorts of interesting bits of decor relating to Italy, Ireland and monasteries. There are a couple of small patios on the sidewalk (one heated), but since we visited on a cool, rainy evening, we ate indoors. We were seated in a wooden booth which was quite comfy. Service was prompt and attentive without being intrusive. The menu consists of a nice selection of appetizers, salads, sandwiches, mussel dishes (all cooked in different beers), thin crust pizzas, pastas and some other traditional Italian dishes. On the table there is a "beer bible" listing hundreds of beers both draft and bottled. There is also information about beer and beer terminology. Our waitress was very helpful in helping us 'marry' our beer and wine selections to our food choices. I chose Barking Squirrel lager (Brampton, ON) -- partly because I enjoy trying Ontario beer and partly because I was intrigued by the rather British sounding name. It is a delicious, medium bodied lager with a nice, hoppy flavour. For my entree, I chose a fussili pasta with Italian sausage sauce. It consisted of spicy Italian sausage, olives, chillis, stella lager in tomato sauce. My sister chose a half portion of Pesto pizza -- grilled chicken, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and mozzarella. She paired that with a glass of the house white wine. While waiting for our meals, we were served warm multi-grain bread with delicious, chili-infused olive oil. My sister really enjoyed her pizza, although she said that next time, she will order a meal-sized rather than a half. My entree was a very generous serving of perfectly cooked pasta and delicious sauce. We really enjoyed our time at the Pub Italia and will definitely be back with more of our family.

• Visited September 2012