“Possibly the best sushi in Ottawa”

New Generation Sushi
Ranked #70 of 2,766 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Description: Combining Japanese culinary traditions with fresh, innovative creations, New Generation Sushi features a large selection of specialty sushi rolls to please all palates. All our sushi are freshly prepared and made to order.
Ottawa, Canada
“Possibly the best sushi in Ottawa”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I've had sushi in many different places in Ottawa, but I think this might be the best. I've been there more than 5 times and it is phenomenal. Very fresh and the presentation is lovely. The dynamite rolls are just fantastic. The service is very good too, and I am always surprised how low our bill is, considering how much gorgeous food we inhaled! ;)
It would be useful to get a new spot for the drink fridge, more out of the way.
But that is just a detail.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank hburkholder

Paris, Canada
“Super fresh”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I love sushi and finding this little spot in Ottawa made my day, lunch and dinner a few times during my two week visit to the Capital. The sushi was always fresh and flavourful. If you are a sushi fan you must try New Generation Sushi, but get there early as seating is limited.
I recommend the dynamite roll.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank twps
Ottawa
“NGS has seen better days”
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We used to go here often after work for a quick sushi fix, but haven't been in ages. Our visit last night was underwhelming, sushi bar has two very noisy motors, coupled with the small fridge used for drinks and takeouts (?) we could hardly hear each other over all that noise.
Dragon eyes roll which used to be our fave, seemed super "fried" and covered in sauce that you can now find in every all you can eat sushi joint in town. Even though the restaurant was virtually empty, the waitress messed up the order and forgot to bring one of the 5 rolls and did not apologize when we told her we didn't get it. One white wine available and it was pretty harsh.

Inari nigiri and tuna krispies roll were the only stronger points to the meal. Sadly, this will likely be our dinenr last visit, especially when quality sushi restaurants like Genji and Wasabi are just down the street.

Seems like more of a quick lunch or takeout place than it was before.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank A&MOttawa
Ottawa
“The number of take out orders speaks to its popularity”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Another lunch time choice for me. It is located a hop, skip and a jump from city hall and only a few minutes walk from Parliament Hill. It is a small restaurant offering very good sushi and a range of sample plates. I recommend making reservations. The price is also a plus.

There is a surprising number of take out orders from local office workers for good reason.

The decor is unremarkable and there is no outdoor seating.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank bulroc
iGirl26
“This should be the top sushi place for Ottawa. Nothing Less.”
Reviewed April 28, 2010

I have been going to NGS for years – actually almost ever since it opened in 2004. I have tried many sushi places in Ottawa, downtown, in the Market and further in Hull and Gatineau. I've tried quite a few of them and I can confidently say : This place is THE BEST SUSHI PLACE IN OTTAWA. Yes, it does get pretty crowded at lunch time, especially as we get later in the week. I would highly suggest to make a reservation AND if you’re limited in time maybe pre-order or take out might be the better option for you or you can pre order your meal as well. If you make a reservation on a busy lunch day but don't pre-order, expect to spend about 90 minutes from the time you're seated to the time you're out the door, Same goes for dinner, unless you specify to them that you're in a rush, then maybe 40 minutes is enough if you order quickly and the house is not too busy...

There has been a change in staff since it all started but I have no complaint whatsoever on that side, I ALWAYS get excellent service.

Quality of fish is always there and really quality of all ingredients overall I should say. I seriously don’t understand how this place could get average and poor votes, I had sushi in Montreal in places that I was told When I brought some family and friends there who have been in Vancouver many times, they told me that NGS is definitely their favorite sushi place in Ottawa – almost as good as in Vancouver. So I guess it says it all when a Sushi place is comparable to where we are supposed to have the best sushi in the country…

You have to keep some space for desert. Try the Sushi delight - it's a fantastic soy bean wrap with rice, honey, nutella, bananas and strawberries...

The only downside in my opinion is that this place is not opened on week-ends… I would LOVE to be able to go there for a nice dinner on a saturday night... Can we really blame them? Centrally located with office buildings… This area is DEAD during week-ends, as fantastic as this place is, it should be located in the By Market with a little more seats, then it would be profitable to have it opened during week-end nights…

I think I know where I'm going for lunch now... mmmmm...

1 Thank iGirl26