“So sad to see my favourite restaurant close...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The New Dubrovnik - CLOSED

The New Dubrovnik
Cuisines: International, European, Croatian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Ottawa, Ontario
“So sad to see my favourite restaurant close...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I first ate at this restaurant 17 yrs. ago when my husband and I had our first date (that was when he introduced me to the restaurant). I have been hooked ever since. On Aug. 5th, we had a meal there to celebrate my birthday and were told that the restaurant was closing on Aug. 18th. We immediately made another reservation for Aug. 17th so that we could have one final meal there before it closed. The majority of us chose the House Veal which is served with an amazing mushroom wine sauce, and it was excellent as always. My husband normally orders the stuffed veal, but this time, he ordered the House Snitzel to try something new before they closed, and he was wishing that he had ordered it previously, as he enjoyed it even more than his cherished stuffed veal (is that possible?).

All I can say now is that I will greatly miss this restaurant. It was unique. It served amazing Croatian food, and there are no other restaurants like it in Ottawa. The service at this restaurant was always second to none, and the restaurant itself was quaint and charming. My father will be arriving for a visit from Arkansas next month, and he has always insisted on eating at this restaurant when he is in Ottawa. He will be as sad as the rest of our family to hear that it has closed.

Anyway, I want to wish the owner much happiness and success in her future endeavour, as she is a lovely person and deserves the best. It was very difficult for us to say good-bye to her and to her restaurant (she told us that it was her life for 35 yrs.) when we were there on Aug. 17th. We are hoping to see the restaurant re-open (perhaps with her son) sometime in the future, but until then, we will miss it immensely...

3 Thank dragonlady06

Ottawa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So good, so sad!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Went for my final dinner at the New Dubrovnik on Sunday. They are closing shop (hopefully temporarily!). What to say, the peasants platter was delicious, affordable and served quickly and professionally. Fresh apple strudel with ice cream, need I even say more. Topped off with a nice bottle of white and a cappucino.

PS. Brought our 15 month old baby girl with us, and the servers helped us get her chair set up and interacted with her. Nice when that happens.

Louisville
“Truly authentic and excellent Croatian food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Great food and service. This is authentic food at its best. The owner is there and is delightful. Don't miss it.

1 Thank Muttmanblue
Nepean
“excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

wife and I went for dinner last evening, we ordered from a variety of choices on the menu, and were completely satisfied with the service but even more so with the delicious meal which was prepared to perfection.

Meals were served hot and we were completely satisfied. The waiter was very attentive and served us without delay. The prices for the meal was very reasonable.

Suggest making a reservation.

• Visited July 2013
“OUT STANDING ! EAT HERE !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I ate here on 6-22-13. had the Peasant platter. The waiter was awesome. the food was excellent
It was too good to be true ! I will return I will tell all my friends "eat here" every place you go does have a down fall, here it was a little pricey $46.00 with tip 1 person, I don't regret it one bit !

• Visited June 2013