“Wednesdays are the best”
Review of Maxwell's Bistro - CLOSED

Maxwell's Bistro
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Here recently with friends on Johnny vegas night, live music/dancing upstairs. $5 cover charge, very lively, crowd covers 20 somethings up to maybe 80. Watch out for the cowboy he covers a lot of area when he gets going on the dance floor. Dance places must be rare around here given the huge age range in there. Great 50's to 70's tunes. Drinks very reasonably priced. lots of fun....never had dinner.

There are newer reviews for Maxwell's Bistro

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Maxwell's Bistro on Elgin Street in Ottawa is a nice restaurant specializing in Italian dishes. My friend and I dined there one evening; the food was good - but not exceptional - as was the service. While this was not a bad dining experience, it was not particularly noteworthy. Considering the wealth of good restaurants in Ottawa, I doubt I would return to Maxwell's Bistro; there are so many more to try.

2  Thank CJTravelerTexas
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stopped in for dinner before a night out dancing to celebrate our birthdays and we were both so very impressed with the food and service at Maxwells!!

Both of us decided on the Farmers market pasta dish. To our delight, it was loaded with finely chopped vegetables and the perfect amount of garlic sauce. Since I'm a big seafood fan, I decided to add the roasted shrimp. They were huge!!

We ended dinner with an awesome chocolate cheesecake which we split then worked off the calories dancing upstairs :)

Kuddos to our very friendly server Mitchell and restaurant manager Dave Muir! We had a great time and will return soon!

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Food was great and the menu had good variety. Our server was a little too enthusiastic. The front windows were open so there were flies buzzing around us all dinner. We took food to go and the container wasn't quite big enough so although we walked back to our hotel with the food container upright, it leaked.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Maxwell's has one of the nicest spots on Elgin Street. Both the bar and restaurant side have great big open windows where you can dine tableside and watch the interesting Elgin Street people. (Watch your purses though ladies). We've been going to Maxwell's for a long time now. They renovated the bar side, which is nice and modern. The bartender was fantastic, personable and new how to take care of customers. They introduced a great tapis menu about two years ago, and we would often go just for that. Anyway, our last two visits was quite disappointing. The bartender seems to be gone and has been replaced with a young man who, while nice just does not seem to have the experience he should. The chef has also been replaced and the new chef has taken off the tapis items from the menu. The regular menu has also changed somewhat and is not nearly as good. I would easily say they lost an experienced chef and have replace him for someone not so creative or as good a cook. The food took forever to come and when it did it was disappointing. During one visit the order was wrong and the waiter started explaining it was his fault so he'd pay out of his own pocket. Really? This is what I need to hear when dining out? My husband had asked to substitute pasta for rice and the waiter was almost afraid to ask the 'new' chef indicating that he did not like to modify his creations. The waiter happily returned saying 'chef' had agreed and when the food arrived it was almost like they used tomato soup as a pasta sauce. It was not good at all. In any event, we won't be returning anytime soon. I'm not sure why the owner would make such drastic changes to what was a good thing. The service and food have all taken a big dip and with many other great restaurants in town I'll go elsewhere.

1  Thank Diane2242