“Off night?”

Dining options: Reservations
Ottawa
“Off night?”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Have been to this restaurant several times, and have always had a good meal. This last time however, I was left wondering what had happened - and, after looking on line it appears there is a new chef & kitchen staff? I am wondering if the owners (former chef & maitre'd) are perhaps scaling back their involvement?
We had two appetizers - the scallops & the foie gras. My foie gras was actually cool to cold, as though it had been sitting. The scallops were good - but there were only two! The presentation was odd - a long plate with two scallops at one end. And they were not giant scallops either. For that price and that size the appetizer should have had twice as many scallops (and no, read my other reviews, I'm not expecting giant trough portions - just portions that are not so small that it's comical).
Main courses - the duck confit was very good. Veggies, in particular the beets were nice as well. Hubby's filet mignon was undercooked (he asked for medium rare & got rare), and half the cut of meat was tough - to the extent he hid it in his napkin and threw it out when we got home. When I asked him why he did that, he said he didn't want to spoil my night - he should've said something & at least gotten the price reduced or removed.
Dessert was good. Service was friendly and efficient. I used to rave about this place, and have brought family and friends as well. I would probably give it another chance based on past meals, but I'm not in a huge rush to do it.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank ice_rider
Germain B, Owner at Saint-O-Restaurant, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Thank you for your constructive and thoughtful review. We certainly do appreciate your criticism and we see this as an opportunity for improvement. We are reviewing the scallop appetizer and will be bringing changes to the menu and processes involving food preparation.

Annie Durand-Brunet
Germain Brunet
Owners - Le Saint-O

Ottawa, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Vive la France!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I'm not sure that I should be comparing this restaurant to the ones on my last trip to France... the food was great and the staff was even better! We got some good recommendations for the wine pairing and the creme bruler was out of this world! (Next time, I'm not sharing with my wife!) I did feel a bit over crowded but that also brought back some of the European charm. Overall very positive experience and we will return!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Greg S
Gatineau, Canada
“Back in France...”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My wife and I visited Paris last year for our 10th wedding anniversary...and our most recent visit at Le Saint O "reawakened" some great memories. Our server "Lawrence" is from France and was extremely attentive and professional.

I had Bison and it was so tender it fell off the bone. My wife ordered the duck confit and she had to hold me back from eating hers. A small quaint place for a romantic dinner or catch up with good friends!

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Patrick C
Ottawa
“What a find!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I had supper at the Saint-O last week and we were impressed with the food and the staff. The restaurant it's self is on the smallish very intimate size, the decore brings you back 20 years, this place could be taken right from downtown Paris! All except for the attitude! The price was surprisingly affordable, and we highly recommend the creme bruler!

• Visited August 2012
4 Thank Tom B
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
“Great meal, GREAT staff”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We had a really great dinner and the staff was extremely nice and very engaging, but in a completely appropriate way. When they sensed we wanted privacy, they kept their distance. But, when we brought them into our conversation, we were like old friends. Highly recommend this restaurant. It may not look like much, but it is REALLY GOOD!

2 Thank Tennek