“Overshadowed by Terrible Service”
Review of Hy's Steak House - CLOSED

Hy's Steak House
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: O'Connor
Description: Perfectly grilled Canadian Prime steaks, cold martinis and warm hospitality. A relaxed, refined atmosphere. You deserve to visit Canada's Premier Steakhouse. We are Hy's, and proud of it, since 1955.
Vancouver, Canada
“Overshadowed by Terrible Service”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I had been very much looking forward to spending my boyfriends birthday at Hy's. I had always heard wonderful things about the mainstay restaurant and had made reservations almost a month in advance.

Upon arrival, the hostess was smiling and gracious and promptly escorted us to our red velvet booth, where she helped us get settled. This was starting out to be a lovely dining experience.
We chatted over the wine list for a while and eventually our server arrived at the table.
He addressed us very shortly while the whole time, leaning against the wall. When he turned to retrieve the cocktail list we had asked for, we also noticed the overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke.

Now I have been in the industry for over ten years, in every job from hostess, to kitchen, to general manager, I understand that sometimes servers need a quick break and can end up a little disheveled. Not the greatest first impression, but I was willing to overlook it, if the service improved.

Unfortunately, throughout the meal, whenever we were graced with our servers presence, his knowledge of the menu was dismal, if I could even be allowed to speak long enough to ask a question or place an order before he turned and walked away. We were not told about the nightly specials. He also continually leaned on the wall when he could be bothered to touch our table, and barely asked, let alone listened, to how we where enjoying our meals.

The food, on the other hand, was delicious, although a little dated. Bravo to the kitchen staff for great execution of a outdated menu.
We both enjoyed the Tuna appetizer and New York strip steaks. The garlic mushrooms were delicious as well, and the portion was much larger than I was expecting.

Overall, we ended up with just a satisfactory experience, sad to say.
It could have easily lived up to expectations, but we both felt as though our server was almost going out of his way to be rude and dismissive of us. Especially when we where watching him give the table next to us much better service.

I will not be back.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Bobbananon

Ottawa, Canada
“A great dining experience!”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Hy's is wonderful. Excellent food. Excellent service. Excellent décor. We went there hoping for an awesome evening, and we got it. Our server was was terrific. Very attentive. Knowledgeable. Down-to-earth, yet with those touches of dignity and thoughtfulness that you expect from the finest of restaurants. I have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Visited April 2013
“Delicious but a bit expensive”
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

This is an amazing place for a fancy super. The way they cook there steak is very good, fancy, and creative. The food is a little expensive however very good. I would certainly recommend this place.

Visited June 2013
“love this place”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I visit at least once a year. Usually to celebrate a birthday or anniversary. We actually took our son with us the last time we visited, now that he is 15 he can appreciate what fine dining has to offer. I am often surprised that other "families" choose to bring their children so young. In my view until you hit a certain age you cannot appreciate or give the right attitude required to dine in higher end restaurants and wish others would hold the same values. Often you see toddlers or barely 8 year olds at places causing a stir and ruining for people out to escape the children or just trying to enjoy a romantic adult ambiance.
That said aside our son's first fine dining experience with us was like all our previous experiences-AMAZING. Our son has a great palate and love of food-his mom is a chef after all :) and thought the lamb was superior. As per usual my steak was amazing and tender as you expect the filet to be but again as usual cooked to perfection! My boyfriend really enjoyed the porterhouse and the service is ALWAYS amazing. We will be back again for my birthday shortly !!!

• Visited November 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“good food, service, a bit expensive for what you get”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

A few friends and I went to Hy's in December 2013. We went there on a Friday night with reservations. When we arrived, we were greeted and someone hung our coats for us in the closet. We waited for a while in the bar until our table was ready. The service was good but nothing outstanding. The food selection was great. I ordered a filet mignon with aside of double baked potatoes (a baked potato that had its inside mashed, then re inserted into the potato and baked again.) I also ordered an extra side of mac and cheese. There was a waiter who came by with a tray of sour cream, butter, bacon, etc as toppings for the potato. My steak was done right, and it was very delicious. If you order salads, the salad is prepared right in front of you. The ambiance was very nice and elegant. However, to me, the taste of the food was only a bit better than the Keg (however, the prices were a lot higher.) The restaurant would be nice for an occasional treat but I don't think the high prices are that worth it for the food. (I would pay the extra price just for the nice ambiance.) The service was just average and I was not given any outstanding service at all.

• Visited December 2013