“Best restaurant in Ottawa”
Review of Hy's Steak House - CLOSED

Hy's Steak House
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: O'Connor
Description: Perfectly grilled Canadian Prime steaks, cold martinis and warm hospitality. A relaxed, refined atmosphere. You deserve to visit Canada's Premier Steakhouse. We are Hy's, and proud of it, since 1955.
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Although the restaurant is lavishly decorated and is known to be a high end restaurant, the atmosphere is quite relaxed and you won’t be turned away if you are not dressed in business attire. The food is perfect – cooking, quality and portions. The service is kind and the waiters very knowledgeable and competent. Many of the waiters make an effort to speak both official languages. My only negative comment is that I find that service is fast. I didn’t have much time between courses, but I suppose that you can ask for a slower pace. I mentioned on my online reservation that it was my husband's birthday. They came out with a piece of chocolate torte with a candle. It was a nice touch, but I would like to mention that I paid full price for this desert, so it might be best not to mention the birthday and let your guest choose his or her dessert.

1  Thank llecomte

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I like steaks and Hy's does it OK. But not exceptionally. And the prices are on the high side. There are beter steak houses, but Hy's is the place for power lunches.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We go to the Hy's in Ottawa once a year for a special occasion. We've never been disappointed. Excellent service, and staff is really friendly. Very clean, upscale atmosphere, and above all excellent steaks. I've never been disappointed with the steaks here.
Highly recommended and will continue to visit once a year.
The only con is that this place is really expensive. Probably one of the most expensive steak houses in Ottawa, but well worth it.

1  Thank ottawatravelbug70
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Other than the parliamentary cafeteria, this is where the rubber meets the road. You can see all the familiar faces from the nightly TV news dining with lobbyists and creating regulations to make your life miserable before your very eyes. Sausage making at it's best. Go at lunch, the wildlife never show up at dinner. If you find a stray envelope of cash, the Maitre D will return it to it's rightful owner. Oh yeah, you do not come here for the food.

1  Thank mrak m
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I love Hy's in Ottawa - great wait staff, food excellent, best garlic toast I've tasted, good people watching, superb wine and beer menu. Eat in the bar if you like casual.

1  Thank prairieboy46