“Very nice dinner”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I always wanted to try this restaurant which is hidden away on Bank Street just south of Heron. It is a relatively small place and was quite full when we came for dinner on a Friday night. They had a couple of specials which looked interesting but we stuck to the pasta which turned out to be an excellent choice. Both our dishes were delicious - well prepared, steaming hot, and full of ingredients. They also offer half portions which I thought was a good option if you want appetizers beforehand.

Another aspect I liked is that they offer 1/2 liters of a number of wines - my wife doesn't usually want more than a glass so a 1/2 liter, as opposed to a full bottle is a nice option for us. We also tried the desserts (pecan pie and a banana coconut cheesecake) which were both delicious. All in all a very nice first experience here and I would not hesitate to go back

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Went with friends from work on a Wednesday night! Little far up bank street from downtown but worth the taxi! Started with the antipasti or 2, could have easily fed 4 or more... Girlfriend and I shared it, then passed it around the table of 6, and still some left on the plate! Smoked salmon, meats, cheese, crackers, hummus, grilled veggies, beets, pickles, etc for 18$... Not sure how you can complain about price! All the pasta is homemade and incredible! Got to sample many plates, all very good! I think the price/quality is above average for Ottawa!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We went to Flying Piggys last night for a family get together. There were six of us in our party. After getting our drink orders, our server informed us of the evenings specials. Four of us chose the veal chop, one flat iron steak and one chicken marsala. Meal was good but then our bills came. How any restaurant can charge $38 for a veal chop and $27 for a flat iron steak is beyond my comprehension. A glass of merlot was $10. Our bill for two with a bottle of wine was almost $200 with tip. When we complained about the high prices the server did not bat an eye when telling us that "the market area would have been a lot more". It is obviously a complaint she has heard before. When telling people of the specials they should also inform them of the prices. We were sitting in a section where the specials where not listed. My husband and I have been in better class restaurants in Beijing, Paris, London, etc. and are quite upset by the exorbitant prices they are charging for average food. We used to live in the Hunt Club area and frequent this restaurant. We will not be going back because of the prices and the staff who do not really care that their prices are way too high for an evening out.

4  Thank 515Peter
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The food is good but next time I would order off the menu rather than one of the specials. I had a bowtie pasta with spinach and white beets but it was bland. My friend ordered a steak and a pea risotto which looked very good. For dessert the lemon tart was just so-so, next time I would try the pecan pie. The service was very good, friendly and quick. We went on a weeknight without reservations and had no problem getting a table, but I would recommend calling ahead of time since its a small restaurant. This place is a nice change from the chain restaurants everywhere.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Went for lunch with group of friends from work. Had a great meal, nice selection of lunch specials to choose from. The pasta I had was quite delicious, everyone else enjoyed their meal as well. Desserts were excellent!

Our server was pleasant, knowledgable and attentive without hovering. Definitely plan to go back.