“Best in Ottawa”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This place is by far the best in Ottawa. Great atmosphere, excellent food, friendly staff. I almost don't want to recommend because I don't want it to get overly crowded, but it is too darn good not to shout it out. Go, you won't regret.

2  Thank stjswood

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I wish I could give a 2.5, thats how I feel about this restaurant. I ate here while in Ottawa on business. I am a big sushi aficionado and this place was a letdown.

What I ate:
- Age Dashi Tofu - The tofu was well prepared and the dashi was flavorful but not too strong. However, the tofu was garnished with too much nori and katsuobushi which threw off the flavor a bit.

Sushi:
- Rice - The rice in all sushi dishes was over seasoned, too much salt and vinegar. It overpowered the fish. It was also too warm.
- Mackerel Nigiri - The mackerel was off, it tasted fine but the texture was too grainy, almost as if it has been frozen or left to dry out a bit too much.
- Yellowtail Nigiri - The yellowtail was of a good quality and texture. Unfortunately, it's delicate flavor was overpowered by the rice.
- Caterpillar Roll - The barbecued eel was a little flavorless. The tempura shrimp were well prepared and crispy without too much oil. The roll was garnished with a sauce that was a little too long.

The service was fine, the green tea was good, but I wouldn't return here for another meal.

1  Thank Matthew S
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I liked their sushi a lot--very fresh and well made. The soy sauce was really low quality though, and that is part of the "sushi experience", so that sent their grades down a notch. The service could have been a little more attentive, but the food is great.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just the 2 of us and we didn't have a lot of time but the service was great and the food was even better. Generous portions; excellent value.

1  Thank Michael Bonnie C
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Excellent Japanese restaurant with tasty sushi, teriyaki and tempura. Service in the restaurant was excellent as well.

1  Thank vanmanner