“Faily good food...they charge you for tap water!!!”
Review of Empire - CLOSED

Empire
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Fairly good food, staff is good. A bit overprice but you do get a prime spot in By Market.

They charge you for tap water, saying they use filter..this is awfull charging 2,50$ for tap water. And Ottawa doesn't even have a water tax so it's a hold up.
Ask to take it off.

1  Thank JFrancois

Reviewed June 1, 2014

My wife and I sat on the patio and enjoyed drinks and apps. Service was great and environment pleasant. We will return!

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Empire Grill is in the Byward Market area of Ottawa. The weather was great and I ate alfresco on its ample deck. I had never been to the Byward Market and I selected the Empire Grill because its outdoor sign said: "steaks * wines * martinis" and I was in the mood for all three. I ordered a grey goose martini and was disappointed to find that it came in a martini glass that was, at best, only 1/2 full - what I now call a "single shot martini." I was even more disappointed when I got the bill and learned that even though the glass was only 1/2 full, it, nevertheless, carried the full price of a martini that fills the glass to the rim.

I ordered a filet, fries and a cabernet for dinner. The steak was properly cooked at medium rare. It was also very tender, but, tasteless. Evidently, it either wasn't seasoned or wasn't properly seasoned before cooking. The fries were shoe-string, served while still hot with a nice helping of catsup on the side. The wine was from Napa and I had a second glass to end the meal.

The service at Empire Grill was courteous and prompt. The "single shot martini" was a disappointment and so was the flavorless steak. Eating alfresco in the beautiful city of Ottawa in its Byward Market area was, nevertheless, a pleasant and relaxing experience!

Reviewed May 22, 2014

We were in the mood for a good burger. Unfortunately they could only offer well done burgers, but we were told they would be nice and juicy, they were that, but had no flavor. Two burgers with shoestring fries and two Heinekens came to $62.00 before tip!

Reviewed March 27, 2014

I travel to Ottawa quite frequently and stumbled upon the Empire Grill as a recommendation from a colleague.
it was a Wednesday night and luckily we were able to be seated. Our party of four were seated in a corner booth with red roses on the table. The only table in the restaurant with roses (My fiancee was so happy)
Our attentive and knowledgeable server Zack, was quite helpful navigating us through the wine list and the menu. We ended up trying the Peter Franus Zinfandel to accompany our meal. The Franus was a nice big Zin that really accompanied our Empire Grill Filet. My fiancee had the HUGE Caesar salad, while I had the corn brulee and i had the garlic mashed potatoes.

Near the beginning of the meal the manager stopped by and checked on us. She was absolutely delightful and was very sure to make we had everything we needed.

As a business traveler who spends many days on the road, Empire Grill was a welcomed oasis, in a sea of bad service and poor food quality.