“Nice room for group functions”
Review of Empire - CLOSED

Empire
Cuisines: American, Canadian, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Nice room for group functions”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The Empire Grill has a nice room for group functions right at the front of the restaurant. It has a commanding street-level view but isn't exactly private as it opens onto picture windows at street level and has sliding glass doors that open (often by themselves) to the main restaurant. The place gets VERY noisy once the restaurant fills up making for less-than-ideal acoustics for dinner chat. The server politely turned the speakers off so at least we didn't have to compete with the Musak. The food choices for our group were quite good as was the wine selection - albeit my first choice of wine was sold out. A few hiccups along the way: first, the set menu had some other group's name on it; they had to re-set the menus. The server also messed up/forgot a few of the drink orders forcing the manager to step in. Nice to see a manager prepared to work for a change. Dinner for 16 with cocktails and wine came in at just over $1,420 with gratuity - on a par with most other restaurants in the area. The sliding glass doors that were supposed to add privacy to the room kept sliding open and were often left that way by servers as they went in and out. One note of caution: there's no main floor washroom; it's an accident waiting to happen, especially for a restaurant that probably sells more beer & booze than anything else.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A amazing meal and venue.”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I had the seafood risotto and loved it .
I was recently in Venice and the seafood risotto at Empire wasbetter than most restaurants in Italy . I loved it and can't wait to go back .

1 Thank 3608024
North Gower, Canada
“Not much for your very expensive $$”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I was very disappointed with my experience at the restaurant. I went with some friends and while it is a very nice restaurant, it is by no means fine dining, which did not warrant the ridiculous prices for the the food served. I ordered a Shiraz wine,,not from the wine list and the cost (later seen in the bill) was $15.00/glass!! If I wanted to pay that much I would have ordered from the wine list. Also I had the Mahi Mahi which looked like a frozen highliner with 2 pieces of asparagus and 2 pieces of broccolini....that's its...nothing else...When I expressed my concern for the prices and lack of meal to justify it the waitress made me feel like I should go and eat at McDonalds. They did take 20% off my bill but I recommend going somewhere else where you don't mind spending $30.00 on something better than a piece of frozen fish.....Jen North Gower, ON

Ottawa
“The prices and spotty service are not worth it.”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The food might have been good, but the very high prices and slow service (not an issue gettig food, but rather to get orders taken and drinks to arrive) made the experience not so great. The fact that you have to pay $8 more for a side on top of a $40 steak is beyond ridiculous. We will not return, nor do we recommend this restaurant. The decor and restaurant are beautiful though... Guess that's why the prices are so high. We were also very rushed out of the restaurant. I feel that for $230 fr two people, we should not feel as though we need to eat and leave in an hour.

Canada
“Good food and service”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Went with a large group and everyone enjoyed the food. Service was good and prices are typical for this area of Ottawa.

Visited October 2012