“NOT QUITE MATCHING ITS GREAT REPUTATION”
Review of Domus Cafe - CLOSED

Domus Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Ottawa, Canada
“NOT QUITE MATCHING ITS GREAT REPUTATION”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This longstanding restaurant in the market area of Ottawa did not impress us as much on this recent visit. In general we thought that the plates lacked something, could have been warmer, although they were well-presented. A restaurant cannot just live on its past reputation..it needs to maintain that high quality across the board especially when the prices are on the high end. In my view it did not stand up to the level of several other restaurants in the market.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Donald R M

“Take a pass”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had not been to Domus Cafe in several years, as it had been overpriced and disappointing on my last visit. My friend had enjoyed a visit there recently, so we took a chance. Previously, I had chosen something rather exotic and knew this could mean trouble, so I chose the schnitzel. It was tough and tasteless in spite of the underlying bed of spinach and egg on top! I inquired as to the method of cooking... breading, frying and baking might be a bit much for the poor piece of pork. My companion had the risotto--tasteless and quite a small portion. In fact, she finished my left over schnitzel to fill up! The sticky toffee pudding was overly sweet, but filling. The service was fine and the tea quite hot! That isn't much of a recommendation for a $70.00 lunch!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Bytown
“delicious”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Regular favourite spot. Attached to a kitchen shop. Always love the food. Soups delicious. Great for lunch or dinner

Visited September 2012
Somerset, New Jersey
“Simple & flavorful local food!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We were served by an older gentleman who has very helpful and a good sense of humor. Bread with fennel seeds and the dipping oil was YUMMY. We were looking forward to the pre-fix dinner and were sold on the fish main course... kindda of disappointed that there was no pre-fix on a Friday. Quebec "Mirabel" Hothouse Mesclun Greens Salad & White winter Root soup were really good - simple clean flavors!! The size is a bit small but with great flavors and great quality ingredients that you can taste. I also got a appz size of the Toasted "Vegetarian" Israeli Cous Cous "Risotto - it was creamy, yummy and the nutty flavors just came thru from some of the mushrooms. For dessert we shared a Dark Chocolate Flourless "Quinoa Cake" - the cake was moist and with just right amount of sweetness. The nut brittle tasted a bit stale and I did not finish it. Wine selections are good. The service was very nice!!! A bit pricey but worth it. Make reservations and check the menu on the website as it is seasonal and changes quite often.

• Visited March 2013
Ottawa
“Taking a break from here”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This review is late, but I still wanted to comment on our last dinner here. We have been going here for the past 6 years, and it used to be our favorite place in town for any special occasion. However, our last two meals here were not as good as previous times.

We have gone for New Years dinner the past 3 years, and were looking forward to the evening. This time we both said we won't rush back. I didn't enjoy the beet salad appetizer, the pickled beets were too acidic. My husbands mushroom soup was very good. We both ordered the seafood trio, and neither one of us loved it. The lobster was a bit tough, the fish cake was just ok, and the arctic char was too small. In general I find the portion sizes seem to have gotten smaller, and there's not enough veggies. I don't consider a smear of mashed potato on the plate to be enough. For dessert I ordered the pumpkin cake with ice cream. I was expecting a nice rich moist cake, but got a small loaf of cake that was dry and not dessert worthy. We also didn't enjoy our waiter this evening. We usually have the older gentleman who has personality and wit, and we really missed him. It makes me sad to write this, this is partly why I didn't rush with my review, I wanted to reflect on it. The cost for our dinner plus wine just didn't feel worth it.

Visited January 2013