“Amazing bistro food, don't let the decor fool you”
Review of Benny's bistro

Benny's bistro
Ranked #194 of 2,915 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed May 22, 2014

This is another of my go-to places for lunch when I am in the byward market. The food is simply delicious. Will need to go back very soon!

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We had to wait around 15 minutes for a table at 1 pm on a Sunday. The wait was worth it, because the food was very good! We ordered the smoked salmon potato gratin, vegetarian dish (mushrooms with creme fraiche), and I forgot the name of the third dish---but it had egg and potatoes. All the dishes were served hot and were very flavourful. I especially liked my mushroom dish--- who knew veggies could taste so amazing? We also ordered dessert: a tiramisu (delightfully delicious, but 8$!) and a strawberry tart. Service was average---nothing exceptional. The portions looked small but were quite filling. The presentation of the food was excellent. There is an open kitchen, so that was interesting to watch. We were offered a plate of bread with butter right when we sat down. I will be returning to Benny's!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Won't be eating here again! I was shocked by how bad the service was the last time I ate here. Because I'm pregnant I ordered my eggs over medium. The food took ages to come and when it did my eggs were soft boiled, so I asked that they cook them a bit longer. So off the waiter went without any apology or explanation and then it took another 15 mins for me to get my food.
Meanwhile my friend had eaten all her food. Still no apologies. Then the eggs arrived and they were hard boiled- like a rock. At this point I didn't even bother. On top of that my vegetarian friend had ordered a dish without meat (but got the extra hollandaise sauce) and asked when we were paying whether the two things could be canceled out. And they refused with attitude. Come on guys you are in the hospitality industry!

1  Thank AmaAriane
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Room for 10 small tables at the back only. The egg dishes are amazing, not large, but very tasty and original with unique blends of flavors for poached eggs with seafood etc. The staff are friendly sincere and worked hard to accommodate.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Walked into Benny's Bistro for Saturday brunch this past weekend. I heard usually it's pretty packed but I guess it's been really cold out so we only waited for 5 minutes and got a table. I got their version of eggs benny, they don't do it with an English muffin, it's with potato gratin instead. Their portions were kind of smaller compared to other brunch places with some sides. Overall, the food is good.