“Real food”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Salmon gravlax knocks the socks off any Beaver Tails or grease drenched pastries elsewhere in the market. This was a beautifully presented and subtly delicious meal with fresh tasty bread to mop up the sauce. Service was speedy and pleasant. $18 isn't cheap but feeling healthy and satisfied was worth every penny.

There are newer reviews for Benny's bistro

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have dropped in to Benny's numerous times over the years since it opened. At one time they even served dinner but customers were scarce perhaps because of the lack of ambience and windows. The room is very plain. But you certainly cannot say that about the food. I always enjoy their weekend brunch. Very creative and tasty. You don't find their take on dishes anywhere else. Recently I stopped in for a solo lunch, feeling I deserved a treat after visiting the dentist around the corner. It turned out to be a terrific idea. I ordered the scallops with pork belly. A strange combination. But man was it delicious! The flavours jumped off the plate. I am not sure what the ingredients were in the hummus type creation that accompanied it but it too was marvellous. It all went down well with a glass of Sancerre. Three cheers for Chef Adams and his team. A truly creative group in everything they prepare.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Their patisserie is fabulous. Their bistro in the back is great. Sometimes there is a wait for a seat, so grab a coffee up front, and read the newspaper in the patisserie while you wait for your seat. The wait is worth it. Excellent food.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

This place is so unassuming (inside a French pastry) and I love the atmosphere, simple but warm. The bread are from the pastry shop in front - fresh!
The breakfast/lunch is almost as good as we had in Paris.
The only complain I have is that in the weekend you could wait for a while for a table.
It is very busy. That's the reason I go there during the week.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

This place is SMALL, therefore, one has to wait...and wait...and wait for a table if you are not there before the restaurant opens for brunch. We were there too early, so we left and came back. Arrived right when they opened and there was already a long cue. Thankfully, the open kitchen was entertaining for our children. We watch a lot of cooking shows at home, so my kids were giving commentary on what they saw...very cool! :) That being said, we had to wait! We visited in February, during Winterlude, so it may have changed since then, but they did not offer children's menus or high chairs. We had to order a lot of side dishes for our children. That being said, it was one of the most creative breakfasts that I've had in a VERY long time!! The coffee was full-bodied and yummy. The food was wonderful! I felt somewhat rushed. I would give 3 stars for the wait, lack of family amenities, and rushed atmosphere, however, the food, coffee, and open kitchen entertainment saved the rating. :)