“WONDERFUL FOR BREAKFAST/LUNCH”

Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Baltimore, Maryland
“WONDERFUL FOR BREAKFAST/LUNCH”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Located in the "Byward Market" side of town, this restaurant is only open for breakfast and lunch and is kind of hidden down the hall in the back of the "French Baker" bakery. Nevertheless, it was the best breakfast we had in over a week in Ottawa. We've not tried lunch there but, from its menu, it looks as if it would be very good as well. Service was very friendly with the staff even recommending various places to kayak in the area. AND...they serve "Illy" coffee !!

• Visited September 2012

Ottawa, Canada
“Very good brunch”
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Brunch dishes are inspired and well balanced (and you pay for it). The small, cozy place is low key and intimate.

Ottawa, Canada
“Food too rich for my taste”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have been to Benny's bistro a few times. Every time I leave I am disappointed because I don't feel good because the food I ate was too rich. The ambiance is like a cafeteria and the tables are very close together. The menu is very interesting and of course I want to try something new when I go there but like I said, it is too rich for my taste.
It is also a bit pricey for what you get. It is located in the rear of the French Baker bakery in the ByWard Market. It is a good thing that there is a sign on the sidewalk or you might just miss it.

1 Thank danielle m
Canada
“They Need to Review Their Customer Service Skills”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have been purchasing baguettes and on occasion other items from the French Baker (Benny’s Bistro) for years. Today at midday, I stopped in and stood by the pastry counter needing 2 pecan pies, 2 fruit flans and 2 apple cakes for the weekend as I was entertaining guests from France.

This public area of the shop is small and the pastry counter is cornered with the baguette counter. Please refer to the top photo. The fellow behind the baguette counter was finishing serving the last customer, giving him his change and glancing at me a couple of times. The two other employees were in the open kitchen area facing me and glancing at me as they were both carrying a conversation between themselves and a friend standing next to me in the public area.
Once the last customer’s transaction was complete, the fellow behind the baguette counter disappeared into the back room. A fourth employee a young lady, came out from the back, glances at me then proceeded straight to the baguettes section to ‘reorganize’ them.

I have been in the store for 5 minutes, the store was amazingly quiet and never was I acknowledged by any of the 4 employees on duty. Considering that I was planning to spend a conservative estimate of $150 (Canadian dollars) on six pies (average price $24.99 each), something to be fair they wouldn’t know yet considerably more than the average $2.25 a client spends on one baguette, I was very disappointed with the attitude of the staff and walked out.

The city of Ottawa has a multitude of bakers, master pastry chefs and shops to choose from and this is where my business will now go to. I am sure that they will be more than happy of welcome my business.

As for the ‘French Baker’, I will not return.

They seriously need to review their customer service skills; I did not see any today and it cost them a sale.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank LikeABigPizzaPie
Ottawa
“Love the Brunch”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is a favourite place for brunch... I have been a regular for many years and have never been disappointed. This is not you traditional greasy spoon breakfast, but an unusual cut above, with unique dishes I have never seen elsewhere. Enjoy.

Visited June 2012