“Grest experience, service great and so was the food”

Beckta Dining & Wine
Ranked #9 of 2,785 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
“Grest experience, service great and so was the food”
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

We were treated very well and the service was excellent. The root soup is excellent and I highly recommend it. The only disappointment was the apple dessert read like a crumble and was really sliced apples on the plate. It was good but not what was expected. Whole experience was really nice and would recommend Beckta for a relaxed but fine dining experience.

Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Lovely Time”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I wanted to treat my husband to a lovely dinner, and I thought it would be a nice idea to surprise him with a scotch flight.
I had emailed a few well-known restaurants in the area and Pieter responded in record time! I was impressed with his quick attention to my request that I made a reservation immediately. Pieter also called to discuss and confirm the scotch flight, which I thought was a nice touch.

We arrived and we quickly greeted at the door and brought to a table. The staff is incredibly friendly, and very knowledgeable of the food and wine list. After reviewing the menu and having difficulty making a decision we went with the 5 course tasting menu. Everything tasted fantastic! Despite the restaurant being full – I never felt we had to wait too long and the staff was very attentive.

My husband loved the scotch flight and his dinner too.

Overall, I’m very happy with our experience at Beckta!

• Visited September 2013
“Amazing Food, Worth the Price”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I went to Beckta Dining & Wine while visiting Ottawa in October 2013. I had the Tuna Tataki and the Succotash Spatzle. Both were amazing and I highly recommend it. The service right from when I walked into the restaurant was impeccable. I cannot wait to go back!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Darrickli
stevebeckta, Owner at Beckta Dining & Wine, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Hello Darrickli: Thank you for visiting Beckta and Play recently, and for leaving us with your great reviews for our visitors on TA. I was thrilled to see that you enjoyed this visit to Beckta (as well as your recent lunch at our sister restaurant, Play food & wine!) I look forward to hopefully getting the chance to welcome you back myself for another dining experience soon.

With many thanks,

NYC
“Great food, excellent service”
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Went there for a business dinner and had a great time. Super food, excellent wine and greater service. Worth a visit.

Visited October 2013
Dear NYC Family T: Thank you for choosing Beckta for your recent business dinner, and for taking the time to leave your compliments on TripAdvisor. I'm delighted to see that you enjoyed your experience with us, and hope to be able to welcome you back in person on another visit soon.

With many thanks,

Ottawa, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“As good as it gets”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I just had dinner for the second time at Beckta, and it was just as incredible as my first visit. There's something special about this place. The service is professional and cordial, the dining room is incredibly elegant, and the food is about as good as it gets. The menu changes often, with a strong emphasis on seasonality which I love. The size of the menu is perfect with seven appetizers and eight mains, yet it's still hard to choose your items because they ALL sound delicious.

To start, I had the root vegetable soup with truffled honey, grilled leek vinaigrette and crispy lardons. This was one of the best soups I've ever had. The truffled honey went beautifully with the root veg, and the lardons gave the soup a nice texture contrast. Also, the bread that was served with my soup was by far the best bread I've had in an Ottawa restaurant. The caramelized butter served with it was ridiculous! My friend had the tomato salad and loved it.

For my main I had the chicken breast. Normally I find chicken to be a bit on the boring side, but this was easily the most flavourful chicken breast I've ever had. It was juicy on the inside, crispy on the outside. The herb butter jus that came with it was super good. They didn't skimp on the sides either: sugar snap peas, french beans, pickled garlic scapes, black-eyed peas, garlic confit, and chicken liver mousse raviolinis. The vegetables were tasty and plentiful, and the raviolinis were awesome. I love how Beckta has a strong emphasis on sides, many restaurants underemphasize the sides. My friend had the Icelandic char and loved everything about the dish. I sampled the char and it was delicious and perfectly cooked.

For dessert me and my friend shared three of them. First up was the "How do you like them Apples?" dessert. You gotta love the name of that one. So to answer the question, I liked them a lot. They were honey crisp apples, bruléed which makes sense because it preserves the crisp texture of the apple. They were a perfect balance of sweet and tart, and went really well with the apricot puree, miso caramel, fresh basil, and green apple gelato. Second up was the plum cobbler with almond macarons and tarragon ice cream. The highlight of this one, while all good, was the tarragon ice cream. Unreal. Last up was the rosemary creme brulee, my favourite of the three desserts. Adding rosemary to a creme brulee? That's genius. It was subtle, and went so well with the concord grape compote, blue cheese and shaved filberts. So good.

In closing, Beckta has now emerged as my favourite restaurant in Ottawa. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? Absolutely.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank JesseVV
Dear JesseD83:

Thank you for joining us again at Beckta and for leaving this detailed and caring compliment for us on TA. This was wonderful to read, and I can't wait to share your high praise with the team. I really hope to be able to thank you in person on your next visit to Beckta.

All the best,