“Fantastic”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Apollo Beach, Florida
“Fantastic”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

While visiting Montreal we found this utterly fantastic restaurant thanks to TripAdvisor. It is on a side street and a little hard to find but out cabbie was wonderful and turned on his GPS and presto we were there. The restaurant is in an old house that has been refurbished and is lovely. The staff is fantastic, helpful and attentive. The food was wonderful and different. There was nothing on the menu one could not have ordered. The staff helped us pick a perfect pairing of wine with dinner. This a little gem on Ottawa.

1 Thank Judy M
stevebeckta, Owner at Beckta Dining & Wine, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Hi Judy: Thank you very much for choosing Beckta while you were in town, and especially for taking the time to share your wonderful compliments with TA. I'm thrilled to read that you enjoyed your first visit with us so much. I hope I can welcome you back personally on your next visit to Ottawa.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary, Alberta
“A really fantastic restaurant!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I visited Ottawa to see the Eagles. While there we decided to visit this little out-of-the-way restaurant. We picked this restaurant mostly due to reviews here on Trip Advisor and elsewhere. Well it didn't disappoint! The restaurant is in an old house that has been refurbished. While there we noticed a lot of 'regulars' would come and go... as they obviously knew the staff and were on a first name basis, a very good sign. The menu was a good mixture of seafood and contemporary offerings and had a wine pairing/5-8 course meal option if you were so inclined. I'm a big fan of oysters and I had to try their oyster appetizer... which I've had in dozens of restaurants around the world. Well, without exaggerating I can say that this was the very BEST oyster appetizer I've ever had. The same was true of the whole meal. The service was very good, un-intrusive but efficient. All in all one of the best restaurant experiences we've had in a very long time.

• Visited July 2013
stevebeckta, Owner at Beckta Dining & Wine, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear DHSS: Thank you for choosing to join us at Beckta on your recent visit to Ottawa and for leaving such a kind review for our friends on TA, such a wonderful compliment! I am thrilled that you enjoyed the experience so much, and I hope I can welcome you back personally on your next visit.

Ottawa, Canada
“A return trip, and still fantastic”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I returned to Beckta recently for a birthday dinner, and were once again very pleased with the experience. We ordered the five-course tasting menu this time, paired with wine. Each plate was extremely well done, and over the 3 hours, we had what felt like a large amount of food. The wine pairings with each plate worked really well, and my wife and I left quite satisfied. Beckta is not a cheap restaurant, and this came out to over $300 for the two of us, but I still look forward to our next visit.

• Visited July 2013
Dear Colwit: Thank you so much for coming back to see us at Beckta, and especially for taking the time to leave yet another kind compliment for our visitors on TA. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your birthday dinner with us, and that you found us to be a great value for your special evening out. I really hope that I get the opportunity to welcome you back in person on your next visit.

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent restaurant”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Really nice restaurant with a varied menu. Food was cooked to perfection and staff were attentive and knowledgable about the food they were serving. Extensive wine list and a great list of single malt whiskies.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank HamishLondon
stevebeckta, Owner at Beckta Dining & Wine, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear HamishLondon: Thank you very much for dining with us at Beckta recently, and for sharing your kind compliments with our visitors on TA. I can't wait to share your review with the team. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your experience with us and hope I get a chance to welcome you back personally before too long.

All the best,

Ottawa, Canada
“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Basis for review: We have had dinner three times in the last 6 months.

Bekta is considered by some as being the one of the finest restaurants in Ottawa. As implied by the title to this review, there are evenings when this true. Unfortunately, there are an equal number of evenings when the latter part of the title was more appropriate.

The restaurant is not comfortable. The seating is crowded at best and, when it is busy, the noise levels support the recent research which concludes that noise levels can significantly detract from the enjoyment of food. Lighting is spotty, with some tables where it is impossible to read the men.

Food ranged from outstanding to awful. On our first visit, I enjoyed an outstanding soup. On the second, I ordered the same soup and received a a horrible glop of something that allowed my spoon to stand up without assistance. Main dishes ranged from badly overcooked to outstanding (the sweetbreads on our last visit were among the best I have experienced).

On our first two visits, the service was excellent. On our third, it was laughable. Our server (Derek), after pointing out that is was in the middle of a large cocktail and indicated that my wife would taste the wine, proceeded to fill my glass. At the end of our mail, we were waiting for our table to be cleared - Derek entered the room an proceeded to have a lengthy conversation with the only other couple in the room - Then proceeded to leave the room without so much as glancing in our direction. This was despite the fact that I was waving at him. He managed to return when I shouted at him!

The other problem with the food was strange combinations. The bizarre additions to the excellent sweetbreads would have more at home with fish and chips in a local pub.

Would I go back? Not likely.

Should you go? I wouldn't!

• Visited May 2013
4 Thank byrddawg
stevebeckta, Owner at Beckta Dining & Wine, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear byrddawg: Thank you very much for dining with us three times over the past few months and for all of your detailed feedback. I'm really happy that you enjoyed many aspects of your dinners but I'm so sorry that your last visit left things to be desired. I would love the opportunity to make this up to you on another visit if you would be open to it. My email address is sbeckta@beckta.com and I sincerely hope to hear from you to rectify any mistakes from your most recent dinner.