“Excellent restaurant”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Really nice restaurant with a varied menu. Food was cooked to perfection and staff were attentive and knowledgable about the food they were serving. Extensive wine list and a great list of single malt whiskies.

2  Thank HamishLondon
stevebeckta, Owner at Beckta Dining & Wine, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear HamishLondon: Thank you very much for dining with us at Beckta recently, and for sharing your kind compliments with our visitors on TA. I can't wait to share your review with the team. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your experience with us and hope I get a chance to welcome you back personally before too long.

There are newer reviews for Beckta Dining & Wine

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Basis for review: We have had dinner three times in the last 6 months.

Bekta is considered by some as being the one of the finest restaurants in Ottawa. As implied by the title to this review, there are evenings when this true. Unfortunately, there are an equal number of evenings when the latter part of the title was more appropriate.

The restaurant is not comfortable. The seating is crowded at best and, when it is busy, the noise levels support the recent research which concludes that noise levels can significantly detract from the enjoyment of food. Lighting is spotty, with some tables where it is impossible to read the men.

Food ranged from outstanding to awful. On our first visit, I enjoyed an outstanding soup. On the second, I ordered the same soup and received a a horrible glop of something that allowed my spoon to stand up without assistance. Main dishes ranged from badly overcooked to outstanding (the sweetbreads on our last visit were among the best I have experienced).

On our first two visits, the service was excellent. On our third, it was laughable. Our server (Derek), after pointing out that is was in the middle of a large cocktail and indicated that my wife would taste the wine, proceeded to fill my glass. At the end of our mail, we were waiting for our table to be cleared - Derek entered the room an proceeded to have a lengthy conversation with the only other couple in the room - Then proceeded to leave the room without so much as glancing in our direction. This was despite the fact that I was waving at him. He managed to return when I shouted at him!

The other problem with the food was strange combinations. The bizarre additions to the excellent sweetbreads would have more at home with fish and chips in a local pub.

Would I go back? Not likely.

Should you go? I wouldn't!

4  Thank Dawg_Lover1
stevebeckta, Owner at Beckta Dining & Wine, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear byrddawg: Thank you very much for dining with us three times over the past few months and for all of your detailed feedback. I'm really happy that you enjoyed many aspects of your dinners but I'm so sorry that your last visit left things to be desired. I would love the opportunity to make this up to you on another visit if you would be open to it. My email address is sbeckta@beckta.com and I sincerely hope to hear from you to rectify any mistakes from your most recent dinner.

With many thanks,

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We chose Beckta's for my birthday dinner. It's situated on a quiet street in the heart of Ottawa, has a good atmosphere and pleasant staff. We started with sparkling wine and foie gras and it was delicious. For the main course, we had the roast duck breast, the pork loin and a nice Canadian Pinot Noir. Both dishes were very tasty and the wine was a good match. We were well attended but never felt rushed.

1  Thank rieslingca

Dear reislingca: Thank you so much for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us at Beckta, and for taking the time to share your review with our friends on TA. I look forward to sharing your compliments with our team. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us, and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back personally on your next visit.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had read many of the reviews, eaten in Play and Wine, So we went with high expectations.
It did not dissapoint ! It certainly is aimed at a Fine dining experience, smaller portions and more taste with excellent service.It is situated in an old house and seating is fairly close, however when we were there we did not feel intruded by our fellow diners.
Most people around us were experiencing the 5 or 8 course set menu, It looked very good.
We decided upon main course, cheese plate and dessert.My steak was poorly cooked and when asked by our server "how is your meal" I showed her my steak, they immediately cooked me another one.This one was Excellent.I was impressed on how quickly they remidied the situation.
The cheese plate was one of the best we have tasted and you can tell they take a lot of pride in how they create their cheeses.
It is not an inexpensive restaurant with wine on the high side, but overall we came away satisfied.
Our experience was very good and we will certainly return

1  Thank Ceilings

Dear Ceilings: Thanks so much for joining us for dinner recently at Beckta, and for posting the glowing review for our visitors on TA. I'm thrilled that you had such a great experience with us and I hope to be able to personally welcome you back to Beckta when you return.

Steve Beckta

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Cocktails excellent
Appetizers all very good with sweetbreads superb
BUT... Have never been to a top rated restaurant where all 4 at table disappointed by main courses. Bitter sauce worked against the beef and not all potatoes fully cooked. Chicken excellent on own but mole sauce detracted. Duck had cooled off but also bitter veggies. Soft shelled crab also under temp but just didn't work for me. As if trying to do too much and couldn't pull it all off. Nothing you would send back as exactly what menu said and ingredients excellent but all 4 were picking away at meal avoiding things we didn't like.
Service good but somehow came a bit condescending (it's one thing to confirm we still want the larger glass of paired wines but it was made to sound like "don't you think you should consider slowing down?").
I can appreciate the effort so might go back to see if we just had an off night.

4  Thank H B
stevebeckta, Owner at Beckta Dining & Wine, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dar HB: Thanks very much for choosing Beckta recently for your dinner, and all of your feedback on TA. I'm glad we got you off to a great start with cocktails and appetizers (the Sweetbreads are my favourite too!) but I'm really sorry to hear that there was an element on each of your main courses that you did not enjoy. We will certainly share your comments with the Chef so that they can take a good look at each of the dishes you mentioned. But I'm most sorry that you found any condescension from your server. I can only imagine that there was a misunderstanding as our servers are all trained to confirm the size of glass of wine ordered to ensure that we bring the desired size, not to suggest that someone should slow down (unless of course they were showing signs of intoxication, which I'm sure was not the case here). I really hope we can have you back in on another occasion so we can offer you the perfect evening that you were hoping for the first time. I can be reached at sbeckta@beckta.com and hope that I can make another reservation for you in the future personally.

With many thanks,