“Nice for a special occasion”

Beckta Dining & Wine
Ranked #8 of 2,726 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American, European, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ottawa, Canada
“Nice for a special occasion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

The food is the focus and it shows. The price is high, but you don't go there to grab a quick lunch! You go to enjoy the food. We went for a birthday, and all of the plates were superb. The service was good, no complaints, but somehow I got the sense that they thought we are too young and don't fit the clientel, or may be our server just didn't have the best night. I just noticed other tables would get a warmer/friendlier attitude than us, not that we were demanding or anything like that, so it left just a little to be desired! Other than that, everything was great. I also liked the quieter atmosphere, so you can actually hear each other. The wine menu is perhaps not as adventureous as its sister restaurant, the Play. We tried a bottle of champagne, a bottle of red, and some digestive, all of them were very good.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank ScaredySquirrel
stevebeckta, Owner at Beckta Dining & Wine, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Hi ScardySquirrel:

Thanks very much for dining with us at Beckta recently and for all of the kind words. I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself so much and look forward to passing along the compliments to the team. I'm sorry however that you felt that the staff treated you different because of your young age. I can't imagine this being the case, and apologize that you felt that way. Most of us were in our mid to late 20's when Beckta opened 10 years ago and always believe that fine dining should be accessible to everyone, especially the younger crowd as there are many places that younger diners do not feel comfortable for various reasons. I promise if we are lucky enough to have you back that you will feel cared for in the best way, just like you do at our sister restaurant play. I hope to be able to greet you personally on another occasion and would love to make your next reservation personally.

All the best,

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Ottawa, Canada
“Fine dining and wonderful service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We celebrated our wedding anniversary with dinner at Beckta this evening. It was our first visit, and we came with high expectations. We were not disappointed. The menu was thoughtful and the food was delicious. My husband had the special entree for tonight (scallops) and it was outstanding, I had the wellington beef, and it was very good. Our server was very helpful and receptive to our humour, and the other staff we met were attentive and pleasant. We enjoyed this special night out. Thank you!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank llblssk
stevebeckta, Owner at Beckta Dining & Wine, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear llblssk: Thank you for choosing Beckta to celebrate your anniversary, and for sharing your kind words with TA. I'm thrilled to read that you enjoyed your experience with us so much for this very special occasion. I hope I can welcome you back personally on another occasion soon.

Freelton, On
“Great service and food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

We had our two children there, 6 and 7. They were very accommodating and the food was excellent. I rarely have a desert, but there were so many delicious ones on the menu, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I would definitely go back and try the 5 or 8 course dinner.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Melanie S
Dear Melanie: Thank you for bringing your family in to dine with us. I am thrilled to read the you enjoyed your experience with us so much, and so happy to see we were able to sway you to order one of our delicious desserts to finish the meal. Thank you also for taking the time to share your compliments with us and our TA readers. I hope to be able to welcome you back personally on your next visit to Beckta.

All the Best,

Toronto, Canada
“Good food but the service?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

This place is highly rated. It's an aesthetically pleasing location in an old house, and the food choices are creative. Not many places offer veal sweetbreads on the menu. The waitstaff are very efficient, but they are too pretentious and unfriendly. Basically, they think they know everything about fine wines and food, and they treat each customer in a condescending way, as if you know nothing about food or at least not as much as they do. I'm sorry, but the waiter was actually wrong with some of his comments on wine, although he wanted to argue with me to prove otherwise.

Ottawa is a small town filled with lots of small, fancy restaurants with very friendly service. This place reminds me of dining in a posh and overrated Toronto restaurant, the types in Yorkville, where servers act like you owe them a favor for being able to eat in their restaurant. If you want fancy food, then go here. But if you want fancy food, with efficient and friendly staff, then go elsewhere. This place needs to lose its ego.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank Suruien
stevebeckta, Owner at Beckta Dining & Wine, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Sear Samson: thanks very much for dining with us at Beckta this past week. I'm really happy that you enjoyed your meal and the ambiance, but I'm really sorry that you found your server pretentious. That is usually the opposite of anything we hear from our guests and I apologize that your wine conversation came across as anything but helpful and gracious. We pride ourselves on caring and deferential hospitality and again, I'm so sorry that you felt anything less than cared for during your visit. I really hope that we can have you back on another occasion to Beckta to turn this unfortunate misunderstanding around. I can be reached at sbeckta@beckta.com and I would love the opportunity to make this right.

“Beats Hy's by far!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I used to be a regular at Hy's steak house. I went there for the service and intimate atmosphere. After the last few visits I was disappointed in the service. Searching for a new spot I was recommended Beckta's. I will never return to Hy's as Beckta's won me over. Outstanding service and superb food and wine it was a night to remember. Thank you for living up to the raving reviews. You deserve every last one of them. Won't be long before I return.

• Visited May 2013
stevebeckta, Owner at Beckta Dining & Wine, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Hi Jena: Thank you very much for coming to give us a try at Beckta, and especially for taking the time to share your kind compliments with TA. I'm thrilled to read that you enjoyed your first visit with us so much. I hope I can welcome you back personally on another occasion soon.