“A great evening.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beckta Dining & Wine

Beckta Dining & Wine
Ranked #8 of 2,709 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American, European, Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Toronto, Canada
“A great evening.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Beckta provides a great dining experience. Atmosphere, service, and approach to the dinner are all top notch. This was my first time back in a while, and it was better than my previous experiences. If there is one "Persian flaw" to this restaurant, it would be that the menu is so limited. Yes, there are multi-course culinary adventures where one puts themselves in the hands of the chef . . . and yes, the chef prepares everything listed on the menu to perfection. But there are some folks who would prefer to see more options listed on the menu also. I'm sure there are non-listed requests made and granted all the time, but for the price level at which this gem of a restaurant operates, greater selection listed should be possible. And it would be a treat. As it was, food, drinks, and desert were excellent.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Buchans79

• Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
“Great Restaurant Ambience and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Beef was excellent with custom peppercorn sauce, but sable fish was like chewing on a rubber tire :( wine, dessert and service were excellent, very unique dishes. We would go back, but fish wouldn't be our 1st choice.

3 Thank TPK007
Toronto, Canada
“Good but was expecting more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went for a romantic dinner.

The style of the resto is that of a house so you feel like you're going to a good friend's place for a nice meal or glass of wine. It's very blue on the inside.

We were probably the youngest couple in the room (late 20s), it was particularly blue haired that evening.

Did the chef's 5 course with wine pairing. We're red wine drinkers but we loved some of the white suggestions they gave us. Two of the wine pairings were port which we didn't like (but that may just be a personal preference)

Our tasting menu definitely didn't wow us. I found I was looking for more meat courses than I was given. One of the courses was risotto. It was decent but I didn't feel like I was getting my money's worth. The stand out was the wild mushrooms/bruschetta dish. It was really good and balanced flavour.

They have a good cheese selection.

Overall they'll provide you great table service, wine and cheese selection. I think if we go again we'll probably choose dishes from the menu so that we don't feel so disappointed with the chef's selection.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank pixstix
stevebeckta, Owner at Beckta Dining & Wine, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Pixstix: thank you very much for choosing Beckta for your recent romantic dinner. I'm really happy that you enjoyed much of your experience, but I'm sorry that a few of the tasting menu selections were not your style. Please know that our staff are always happy to modify dishes and wine pairing to your tastes (more red wine, less fortified, more meat for instance). I really hope that we can have you back again to exceed all of your expectations. I would love to make your next reservation personally at sbeckta@beckta.com so we can create an experience that takes all of your likes into account.

With many thanks,

Steve
Jaffna, Sri Lanka
“An anniversary dinner to remember”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

When my husband made a reservation, he mentioned it was our wedding anniversary. The service was excellent from the moment we stepped in the front door, from hanging up our coats to filling our glasses. We found the food potions to be just the right size, and the plating of each course was artfully done. The atmosphere was cozy, light back-ground music and un-intrusive lighting. When the desert course was served, they had written " happy anniversary" in chocolate icing around the edge of the plates. The price was what you would expect to pay at an award- winning restaurant. All in all, an experience to treasure.

• Visited January 2013
Montreal, Canada
“An exceptionally special treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband surprised me with a dinner at Beckta -- a 5-course tasting menu with wine parings for my recent milestone birthday. Excellence -- every step of the way; from the greeting at the door, to the 5 or 6 servers attending tables, taking orders, topping up water glasses, offering their fantastic artisan breads.

The food is, as expected, detectible, delicious, sometimes an unexpected, yet fantastic surprise for the palette and tongue.

Beckta's reviews are certainly worthy of the rave reviews here, and for us, a "keeper".

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Ottawa60schick
stevebeckta, Owner at Beckta Dining & Wine, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thanks for all of the rave reviews of Beckta. I'm really excited you had such a good dinner and enjoyed both the food and the service so much. I can't wait to share your comments with the team. Hope we get a chance to see you again before to long.

Cheers,